1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Stinky985, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have an Acoustic Energy Evo 3, centre and compacts surround system with a Yammy RXV1500 amp. No sub. i have recently decided i am lacking bass in the films department (i am happy in pure direct stereo with music).
    so i am thinking of a sub woofer. Now i will be living in a new build 2 bed terrace in a couple of months (thanks to the now ex wife :mad: for the need to sell big house and buy small house!) so am in a quandry.
    I was always happy with the 3 way Evos giving enough bass, but as i said think i ought to add to it now. But i dont want to fall out with my new neighbours and space is very definitley an issue.
    Any ideas ? i would like to keep the cost to as little as possible!
    I was looking at Kef PSW1000 or Mordaunt Short MS309.

2. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi M8,

I would say that the Velodyne CHT-8 or CHT-10 would be good. I've just got the 8 and i am amazed how much solid bass this kicks out and i've just about got it turned up.

Check out the Velodyne special sticky.

DVDCHILD

3. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i did see that but only available in silver and everything else is black! how big is it and where do you put it!? out on display or behind the tv etc? Thanks

4. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
  5. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    i got mine in silver so it mactches the rest of the kit. I don't think there is any hard and fast rule for subwoofer placement. I have mine at the front next to my front left speaker. Best thing to do is when you do get one, play lots of different things with it so you can get the balance right.

I've not totally got it 100% yet but it does sound very good and has a lot of umph for it's size. As for size it is pretty small about 1/2 metre by 1/2 metre square.

6. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  7. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ok thanks a lot. i dont know decision decisions...

8. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    i got mine in silver so it mactches the rest of the kit. I don't think there is any hard and fast rule for subwoofer placement. I have mine at the front next to my front left speaker. Best thing to do is when you do get one, play lots of different things with it so you can get the balance right.

I've not totally got it 100% yet but it does sound very good and has a lot of umph for it's size. As for size it is pretty small about 1/2 metre by 1/2 metre square.

9. tom bell

tom bell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can stretch to £400 I have heard the Wharfedale SW250 and was impressed. Plenty of slam but still refined tight bass. The shop told me that basically it was a 10 inch version of the well received Quad L sub without the piano gloss. Apparently designed by the same person, uses largely the same filtering and is built in the same factory. Alternatively they do a £250 10inch SW150 that is well written up, although as I haven't seen it I can't comment on it.

10. Des Flurane

Des Flurane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Stinky,
    I have almost the same kit as you, except I have the 2400.
    I find my Def Tech ProSub 100 TL to be good for the cash, about 200 pounds.
    Good bang fo your buck!
    Des.

11. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks for all your help. I went for the Ruark Vita 100.It was small-ish and looked ok and wanted a downfiring thing as my kids have already creased the cones in my EVo3s so dont want anything being ruined! Just been delivered and will try it later. GET IN!

12. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    How have your kide managed to crease the cones on the evos as im sure they are supposed to be aluminium:eek: Great speakers :smashin:

How is the vita 100? It looks like a superb sub and especially for the price:)

13. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i dont know how they managed it but they have - probably with toys. Unless it was my ex wife! The cones work fine though and still sound fab!
    Looks nice but havent set it up yet - will do that a bit later. Only came with cheapo subwoofer lead, so hopefully it will be ace with that and even better when i do get a lead!

14. frank-g

frank-g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    stinky,
    Are you up and running with your Vita 100 yet? I currently have a Tuefel passive sub connected to my Yamaha RX-V 795 and do get a resonable rumble but want to move to an active sub to make use of the dedicated sub output.

Having read this thread I think you're like me, wanting a better bass for films rather than music, so I'm interested to hear what you think of your new purchase.

15. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah i am up and running and very happy with it. Had the incredibles on for the kids thinking i'll have a little sleep but i couldnt due to the never heard before bangs and general sub goodness!
    I thought i had a problem where it never went into stand by, but i am getting a hum which i am 95% sure is the dodgy (free) cable thats comes with it. I have ordered a new cable and hopefully that will cure the hum. The hum is causing the sub to receive a signal so never goes to sleep. with a cable in, it does go into sleep mode.
    Get a half decent cable and you'll never look back! I love it!

16. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What kind of cable did you get Stinky, and how much did it cost?

17. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i have ordered an Ixos 5m XHW406 from hificables.co.uk and it cost £26.95. I am sure there are others cheaper and more expensive but every other bit of cable i got is Ixos so thought i'd get the same again. Dunno when i'll get it though, hopefully this week.

18. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I too bought a 3m IXOS cable and it seems to do a very good job - no complaints. However, if I had the chance again I'd try one of the Mark Grant subwoofer cables - around the same price and quality gear by all accounts...PJ

19. frank-g

frank-g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stinky,
    You've had the sub for a couple of weeks now, how's it sounding. Did the better quality cable cure the hum?

20. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey!
    Yeap a couple of weeks on and its sounding pretty damn good. Iam sure i could fiddle a bit more, but it seems to have slipped into the 5.1 quite nicely without sounding different or over whelming. i manually set it up after not being too impressed with the auto setup of my Yammy 1500 not recognising it for low vol etc. I only use it for films, and it sits there nicely and adds the lacking dimension of power! i purposely have been conservative with the volume (small house, neighbours etc), but it could go up a bit (and only a little bit).Actually i will up it a bit today ! On the whole though money very well spent.
    The hum stopped as soon as the IXOS cable was connected and it does go into standby on its own too so absolutely no worries there!
    It looks good (for a sub) doesnt rattle -the stuff i have on top of it - letters, mags etc not on purpose just a dumping ground- stays put so quite good there too!
    If anyone is thinking of a Ruark i would recommend it!