What Subwoofer? REL or SVS and how to connect ?

Kapkirk

Looking for small footprint powerful sub to use with both music and movies. I need one with high level inputs as my 2ch music amp doesn't have sub output.
I have looked at the REL T7X and the SVS SB1000 pro. The REL is rated at 200w (class A/B) and more expensive than the SVS which is rated at 325w (class D)
I really need to run my av receiver (for movies) and my 2ch amp (for music) into the same sub but is this possible?
I am currently running the AVR into a Cambridge Minx but want to upgrade it. The minx is not good for music and does not pair well with my Elac DBR 62's.

The way I have it connected at the moment is the AV receiver is powering my center and rears and the front L+R are powered by my 2CH Denon from the AVR pre-outs for when I watch movies. The front R+L speakers are permanently connected to the Denon 2 ch amp as I listen to music more than watch movies.
I could if I had to, keep the minx for avr duties and the new REL/SVS for music but really only want to run 1 subwoofer for both as have very limited space.

martin 39

You could also use a bk xls200 which you could conect through the Neutrik Speakon High Level Lead and lfe lead.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Looking for small footprint powerful sub to use with both music and movies. I need one with high level inputs as my 2ch music amp doesn't have sub output.
I have looked at the REL T7X and the SVS SB1000 pro. The REL is rated at 200w (class A/B) and more expensive than the SVS which is rated at 325w (class D)
I really need to run my av receiver (for movies) and my 2ch amp (for music) into the same sub but is this possible?
I am currently running the AVR into a Cambridge Minx but want to upgrade it. The minx is not good for music and does not pair well with my Elac DBR 62's.

The way I have it connected at the moment is the AV receiver is powering my center and rears and the front L+R are powered by my 2CH Denon from the AVR pre-outs for when I watch movies. The front R+L speakers are permanently connected to the Denon 2 ch amp as I listen to music more than watch movies.
I could if I had to, keep the minx for avr duties and the new REL/SVS for music but really only want to run 1 subwoofer for both as have very limited space.

Consider also BK XXLS400 if not too large. 12" driver sealed cabinet with 400w (class ab) amp. Made in UK and has been "forum favourite" since 2009, especially for the use of 50/50 movie-music. You have more finish options and also can choose driver orientation (FF/DF), compare cab dimensions as they different!

You can connect XXLS400 to receiver via LFE and for your stereo amp via high level connection (Neutrik). Both cables are included with the sub and it supports

password1

Distinguished Member
Xls400 is pretty huge, 12 inch driver in a large sealed box. The svs sb 1000pro is smaller. In my opinion the curved edges of the svs makes it look smaller than it's relatively compact cabinet.

SVS 3000micro has a much smaller footprint. You should consider buying one before expected price rises.

Meanwhile the Rel Tx range can be bought at a reduced price. I've seen the tx7 with £100 off. Still expensive on paper.

martin 39

When i spoke to bk they recommended the 200 over anything else for music and film. Starting it was faster for music while still giving enough lfe for film. Also look for a old rel 200 or 201e had one for 20yrs and was brilliant for music. Upgrade for film was my only temptation

curtig

Novice Member
I have auditioned a Rel T7i, I wasn’t impressed at all. Can’t imagine the x is a million times better. Save your money.

Kapkirk

You could also use a bk xls200 which you could conect through the Neutrik Speakon High Level Lead and lfe lead.
Thanks, I forgot about BK, the xls200 would fit in the gap I have, the SVS sb-1000 pro would just about fit with a squeeze so anything bigger than 380mm square is not happening.
The SVS subs seem to be very popular tho, so imagine they are pretty good. I just need a bit of extra low end grunt for music mainly.

Mr Wolf

Svs has no Neutrik lead to connect to a 2ch amp is the only problem.

SB-1000 Pro has a high level connection option, it's just not a Neutrik one.

1000-pro-ampshot.jpg

Kapkirk

SB-1000 Pro has a high level connection option, it's just not a Neutrik one.

1000-pro-ampshot.jpg
Do you know if it has separate volume level controls for each input Mr Wolf? I don't see any, looks like some kind of electronic control. Has anyone had experience with this sub, I might go for this one.

Corbaatje

All subs mentioned are an upgrade:)
For what you want I think, REL, BK or MJ Acoustics are most suited.

I owned several subs f.e. JL Audio, Rythmik, SVS, XTZ, REL and for music JL Audio, Rythmik and REL are my favorites.
For music and movies JL Audio is my favorite.

SVS SB13 and SVS SB2000, great subs with a small print and with a lot of output.
But I could not integrate them as good as JL Audio(F112, D110, D108)/REL(T9x)/Rythmik(F12, E15) with music. Same for the XTZ 10.17.

Easiest integration is REL.
BK I never heard so no opinion about them.

Mr Wolf

Do you know if it has separate volume level controls for each input Mr Wolf? I don't see any, looks like some kind of electronic control. Has anyone had experience with this sub, I might go for this one.
It doesn't have separate volume controls but it potentially it has something better.

The sub can be controlled via a Bluetooth App (for Smartphones/tablets) and the sub has three preset memory banks - Movies, Music and Custom. As far as I'm aware, all settings can be stored to these memories (inc. volume and the Low Pass Filter cut-off) so you could just select the one you want for your use.

image.php

That said, I'm sure SVS didn't have simultaneous high/low level connections in mind when the designed the sub so I suggest you fire their customer services team an email and ask them if your proposed useage would work just to be sure. I've always found them to be incredibly responsive and helpful. This is the email address: [email protected]

Last edited:

SPINO

What about a REL T9i should be able to pick one up cheap now with the new x model out , I use 2 of them for both music and movies and they sound fab

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom