• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What subwoofer is for me

N

naylory

Hello I am new to this forum, I am currently after a sub for my surround sound system, I currently have a panasonic system but I am doing a away with there powered sub and dvd player, so I need a subwoofer and a av amp.
Could any one give me some ideas on what is a decent sub on a budget also does any one have one for sale

R

recruit

Hello wayne5981 and welcome to AVForums :thumbsup:

If looking for a sub there are plenty around thanks to the likes of BK and SVS, what is you're budget ?

N

naylory

Thank you

No more than £100 really I have found a Gale storm 3080 quite cheap or theres a Kef one for sale in the for sale section

R

recruit

No more than £100 really I have found a Gale storm 3080 quite cheap or theres a Kef one for sale in the for sale section

Ok well £100 is quite a limited budget and you would be hard pressed to get a decent sub for that money unfortunately :(

If you could up you're budget a little more then the smaller BK subs would be a good start ie Minotaur or Gemini

kbfern

Distinguished Member
At around a £100 really your only option is something secondhand,look in the classifieds on the forum.

Something like the following:

Paradigm PS1000
BK XLS200
Mordaunt Short MS309

Anything any cheaper and you are really into boombox type subs.

mpw2081

Prominent Member
:thumbsup:what type of sub would i be after if a just wanted to attach it to my plasma and would work from the volime control on the tv, interested in any comments sorry for using your thread but saves starting another thread for same type or enquiry

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
:thumbsup:what type of sub would i be after if a just wanted to attach it to my plasma and would work from the volime control on the tv, interested in any comments sorry for using your thread but saves starting another thread for same type or enquiry

This will depend on the connections on your TV, if it has a subwoofer out then most subs with a 'Low Level' RCA input should be fine. If not your choices will be more limited to subwoofers with stereo line level inputs and an onboard crossover.

We can lose perspective a little on the forums but as mentioned above, £100 doesn't get a great deal of performance, some would argue, anything new at that price is likely to sound worse than none at all but you have to start somewhere. The best advice is to go second hand :)

Adam

Isco 3

Established Member
I will agree that the Paradigm PS1000 has some serious "thunder" for the price.
It was my first sub. I loved it!:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom