Question What Subwoofer for Q Acoustics 3020 & Pioneer SX-N30?

mrvinegar

Novice Member
Today I listened to Q Acoustics 3020 speakers paired with a Pioneer SX-N30, sounds good but I think they lack a bit of bass so I'm looking for a subwoofer...

Any recommendations around the €250 mark?

JohnnyNapalm

Have a look at the XTZ stuff. I recently purchased a couple of their 12.17’s and am more than happy with sound produced however you may need to allow a little more in the way of money. Cheers.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
You can't go too far wrong with the BK electronics Gemini (you may need to contact them directly for shipping).

Gemini

sjbrodie

I wanted to revive this thread to get a rough consensus on this pairing (q acoustics 3020 plus a subwoofer) I happened to buy the gemini 2 recommended by Ugg. Interested to hear what OP decided on.

The gemini 2 replaced a budget canton sub (cheap and cheerful ebay purchase) and the difference is remarkable. Gemini 2 is quite possibly the best available at the price.

The q acoustics 3020's also offer a very good price/performance ratio. A smooth speaker with sweet mid range...however that prominent mid range may be jeopardizing the "blending in" between sub and fronts.

I've found using the foam bungs supplied by q acoustics compensated for "boomy" results with the sub. They are inserted into the back ports to limit excessive bass. 3020's are rated down to 64 Hz. I currently have the sub's crossover set at 63Hz and level at quarter capacity. I tend to notice the "muddyness" return as I increase those settings. When looking for a sub, I considered q acoustics' own 3070S subwoofer and I'm surprised by the manual recommended crossover of 100Hz when paired with the 3000 series bookshelves (edit - thinking the 3070S can only be connected to an AV amp which may explain this. I'm using high level inputs with the Gemini)

Just hoping to get others' opinions on pairing these speakers with a sub (not necessarily the Gemini but any sub) and what settings worked best for you. Keep in mind for the bookshelves I have the 3020 not the 3020i improved model (if that makes much difference)

Last edited:

JohnnyNapalm

I have found in my bedroom system that the crossover on the sub is well overlapped above the lowest frequency of the speakers but I too had the boomy bass. This I negated this by turning the gain down on the sub until I found the balance that suited me. Good luck tinkering.

sjbrodie

I have found in my bedroom system that the crossover on the sub is well overlapped above the lowest frequency of the speakers but I too had the boomy bass. This I negated this by turning the gain down on the sub until I found the balance that suited me. Good luck tinkering.
Thanks for the feedback. My secondary setup consists of ancient little wharfedales and a bargain tannoy sub and although lacking, ironically that pairing sounds somewhat more harmonious

pcspinheiro

Standard Member
My uneducated guess is that you shouldn't set the crossover in the sub to the exact frequency where the speakers reach down low, as this is probably already at -3dB (sometimes -6bB). Otherwise you will have a sag in your combined frequency response. Me thinks... more educated audioholics please chip in.

sjbrodie

My uneducated guess is that you shouldn't set the crossover in the sub to the exact frequency where the speakers reach down low, as this is probably already at -3dB (sometimes -6bB). Otherwise you will have a sag in your combined frequency response. Me thinks... more educated audioholics please chip in.
Going by this, I may not have an exact overlap. How big an issue it is I'm unsure. I've tried to set it by ear.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
The Q Acoustic 3020 are rated at 64hz (@-3db) on the low end, so that gives you a general idea of where the Subwoofer Crossover should be set.

Likely anywhere in the roughly 60hz to 65hz range would work.

The Pioneer SX-N30 has both Pre-Amp Out and Sub Out, you can probably use either one. For now we will assume you use the Sub Out.

That would be the Purple/Violet RCA connector on the Bottom -

As to the Subwoofer itself, that will depend on your room. Likely a 10" would be more than enough. Though you can do as you please.

BK Electronics are indeed High Value Subs and they do ship internationally. At a low budget, the BK Gemini would probably come closest to filling your needs -

Are there any special demands or circumstance surrounding the choice of Sub? For example, do you have limited space to place it?

In the XTZ brand, likely the Smaller 8" (200mm) Sub would be the only one to fit your budget. Also available through out the EU -

The Wharfedale SW-150 is not considered a great subwoofer, but it is a good one and an exceptional bargain -

If you are not in the UK, likely the BK Gemini or the XTZ would be the easiest choices.

Assuming you are in the EU, CANTON is a pretty well respected speaker company, and though I don't speak or read German, this one looks pretty close to your stated needs. -

Amazon-DE - Canton AS 85.3 SC Leistungsstarke Aktiv-Subwoofer (200/280W) schwarz

Amazon-DE - Canton AS 84.2 SC Aktivsubwoofer (150/200 Watt) Weiss (Stück)

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: