1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What subwoofer for my TAG system....

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by laalves, Jun 28, 2005.

1. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all,

My system is as described in my signature. Of all the combinations possible to get that extra thump out of action movies, as well as to extend bass and depth in my favourite stereo pieces, I was considering, for starters, a single sub to complement the front Calliopes.

Now, which ones to shortlist? I haven't tested any, but 2 imediately come to mind: the BW PV1, mainly due to its looks (which is wacky enough to combine with my already alien-like Calliopes) and its musicality reviews, and the REL Storm 5, due to its all-rounder capabilities reviews, configurability, etc.

These are just two, and would like to get your thoughts, both on the aforementioned and in any others people may seem fit to shortlist.

Available budget will be 1000-1500£, which I believe covers one of the richest segments of the market.

Room size: 7m x 6m x 2.80m

Luis

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Luis

You can get MUCH better subs than these though they are far from being terrible. The Tag equipment I feel deserves something better in quality so I would look to SVS or Veleodyne for starters. Paradigm are worth checking out to see if you have a local dealer and also have a peep at Genelec as well. Any of the above will be better than the RELs.

3. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Went to Velodyne and SVS pages and wow, I'm totally overwhelmed by the impractical quantity of choices available.....

Having a spare 100W or 250W channel available in my TAG amps combination, I became interested in the passive SVS, which they indicate being the best.

Clearly, flexibility is lost, and unless I upgrade my AV32R-SP to a DP (which is not out of the question), to use TMREQ I will have no way to filter and roll-off frequencies and such, the way a REL Storm 5 seems to be very good at, at least in the manual.

Luis

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    If you have a spare 250w channel then look to SVS. SVS and Paradigm are relatively linear subs. Velodyne is as well but also has equilization. The REL is not as linear as the above.

100w is really too small here and the quality 250w Tag amps will give little or no benefit over cheape stuff here but would get you started nicely.

There isn't a best but just some quality options here.