What Subs are there in 15”/18” ?

DodgeTheViper

Reaction score
I’m just musing what Subs are out there in the 15” to 18” driver size and available in or to the UK.

I don’t think there is actually that much choice.

REL do a couple of 15", the No. 25 and also the HT1508.

And of course SVS.

I’m fairly familiar with SVS but not so much with REL. Have you heard any of the REL’s ?

One sub which you haven´t considered yet is Paradigm Defiance X15. Quite similar to SVS PB3000 performance wise, comes with Anthem Room Correction + mic.

In look review of build, listening test and measurements here:

Funnily enough, I did look at the Paradigm X range a little while back. The reviews I read at the time weren’t particularly favourable.

Good shout though :smashin:

Well read the Audioholics review first page. It "sounds" like good product really. :) Sure it will cost bit more being Paradigm and comes with the ARC.

It’s a shame there aren’t many UK companies offering good value muscular subs like over the pond. Suppose the argument is that their average room is much larger than ours and so needs more bass power to start with!

Last edited:
Very doubtful that would beat any of the 15” PSA or SVS offerings, never mind for a laughable 6.5k. The review talks as if some sort of wizardry is in motion to allow the subwoofer to be super fast. Good bass is not rocket science, pick a well tested linear driver, put it in an enclosure that suits, pair it with a well tested amplifier that gives it the power it needs, place and integrate it well in the room and your pretty much there.

Very doubtful that would beat any of the 15” PSA or SVS offerings, never mind for a laughable 6.5k.
@Liammonty123 I've never even seen, let alone heard, any of these big subwoofers so I'm in no position to argue! :)

@DodgeTheViper Velodyne DD18* subwoofer. Available for sale here and one of several reviews here. Richard Stevenson also reviewed it for Home Cinema Choice magazine about two or three years ago, but I can't find it online. I seem to remember one phrase from his review: "When equalised (to the room), the Velodyne DD18 Plus delivers enormous, seismic bass."

You know what I say @DodgeTheViper once you dio your toe into DIY, there’s no going back. It’s tremendous value compared to commercial, and incredibly satisfying too. For example, you could buy half, yes half a DD18+ for the price of my LCR and subs!

Attachments

• ABBE5782-E691-4D53-BEBA-9E99A584CC14.jpeg
    ABBE5782-E691-4D53-BEBA-9E99A584CC14.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 1,107
The REL is way too much money for me and the Velodyne isn’t far behind. While I havn’t heard either of them, I’d certainly consider a Velodyne 15 though.

As for DIY, I probably have the skill but not the facilities to build unfortunately.

Well, nobody seems to appreciate my suggestions or even the provision of links to them, so I'll bow out.

PSA probably have the best selection of 15's and 18's. There's also now the Monoprice Monolith 15".

The big SVS models as you know. You then start moving up to the pricey stuff already mentioned.

I've had a Velodyne DD15 (and DD10) and whilst excellent it's been bettered by other Subs I've owned (M&K MX5100SF, Arendal Sub3, PSA S1500, PSA S1811).

I think what’s been mentioned so far is probably the choice that we have, which isn’t a lot.

Actually no, I havn’t. I wonder if I should ?

Well people still order them to Europe and while ago some member said he got decent price with the taxes/shipping costs so yeah why not ask. What makes it tricky though is you would need to know will you go for ported or sealed. I assume you still haven´t heard any larger vented sub in your room apart from Arendal. Return could be quite hassle to US.

FV15HP is our answer to the need for a high power home theatre solution that retains the dynamic and accurate bass that we have become known for. Correctly integrated, our vented subwoofers can achieve the tight bass normally associated with a sealed enclosure, yet with greater low frequency output. We recommend this subwoofer for systems in which home theatre has a high priority.

Well people still order them to Europe and while ago some member said he got decent price with the taxes/shipping costs so yeah why not ask. What makes it tricky though is you would need to know will you go for ported or sealed. I assume you still haven´t heard any larger vented sub in your room apart from Arendal. Return could be quite hassle to US.

FV15HP is our answer to the need for a high power home theatre solution that retains the dynamic and accurate bass that we have become known for. Correctly integrated, our vented subwoofers can achieve the tight bass normally associated with a sealed enclosure, yet with greater low frequency output. We recommend this subwoofer for systems in which home theatre has a high priority.

Very good prices for those. And no, I still havn’t heard another vented sub in here. Valid points as well about returns etc.

@DodgeTheViper Velodyne DD18* subwoofer. Available for sale here and one of several reviews here. Richard Stevenson also reviewed it for Home Cinema Choice magazine about two or three years ago, but I can't find it online. I seem to remember one phrase from his review: "When equalised (to the room), the Velodyne DD18 Plus delivers enormous, seismic bass."

I wouldn't buy a subwoofer that old let alone a servo design.

The monolith 15" looks good at £1300. Too big and I prefer sb

For the velodynes, the plus versions are supposed to perform as well as the previous non-plus version above. So a DD12+ performs as well as a DD15 and a DD15+ performs as well as DD18.

I haven't heard a plus to confirm. I have heard the DD15 against a PSA 3000i and 1500 and the velodyne doesn't have the extension the PSAs do. The 3000 has the lead in headroom as well given it's a double driver.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom