1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what sub?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by slamb, Aug 22, 2005.

1. slamb

slamb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    i have an nec 61mp1 display, with a pioneer vsx 1014s receiver, marantz dv7000 dvd, snell LCR500's, b&w ds6 surrounds and b&w 601 rears, but no subwoofer can anyone suggest a suitable one? i was thinking of a mission 78as maybe? another question i have is, this is my first attempt at home cinema and i didn't really plan it, i just sort of fell into it! all this equipment apart from the dvd player came from friends selling me their equipment at what seemed like good prices, but i don't know if it will all work well together, particularly the speakers. the snells are 4ohms and need 200w the others are 8ohms and need about 100w. can i run them all off the pioneer which has 7 channels and 120w at 8ohms?
    could anyone explain impedances and watts etc. please?

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  3. slamb

slamb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    about £600 i think

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    In that case you should start looking at models from SVS, B&W and Velodyne to at least get you going. :)

5. slamb

slamb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice, i've obviously heard of b&w, but not the other two. i will look for some info on them. you disregarded my suggestion of a mission 78as, is that because it isn't very good?. i only actually suggested that model because it is within my budget and i really like the look of it in beech which would match my room. i know that looks aren't the top priority but if it was also a good sub, then that would be great. on a different note, i clicked the link that took me to the photos of your gear, and i was interested to see you make your own cables. i am really interested in whether cables make a great deal of difference to the quality of the sound and vision. i do not believe that there is any noticeable difference in sound quality after a certain point ( about £5 a metre) with speaker cable. in fact i believe ordinary 2.5mm electrical cable is as good as anything else. i am also yet to be convinced that replacement mains cables can have any noticeable effect. i have read reviews and postings from people who claim that they can notice improvements in sound and vision from what seem to me like minute changes to their cabling. what is your opinion? is there a definite improvement and is there a point at which it stops? i would really like to get into this subject more, but my problem is that since i don't notice any difference after a certain point, i either have to accept that my eyes and ears are faulty or the people who say they can tell the difference are mistaken, i know which i would prefer to be true! i would like to do a blind test on one of these people with a wide range of cabling and see if they could tell the difference, at least then i would know for definite that i am tone deaf!. i would also like to do blind testing for bi-wiring because for the life of me i cannot tell the difference and i cannot understand it electrically, i mean, the wires are either shorted together at the amp or at the speaker, what is the differennce? apart from a wider cross sectional area of cable to the speaker, which could be done with bigger cables anyway?
    sorry for the rant, i just want to to know if it's all true or just a giant con by the a/v industry.

6. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,130
    As far as cables go like with most things in the a/v and hi-fi world you have the law of diminishing returns.If you spend 50p a meter on bell wire your speakers will work,if you spend £4-£5 per metre you should hear a difference(improvement).If you spend £50 per metre you may or may not hear any difference against the £4 cable it depends on other factors such as your hearing and the components in your equipment chain.

The other rule is the chain is only as strong as the weakest link, so its no good spending loads on cabling if you have low quality amplification or speakers, just the same as a £2000 receiver with 50p bell wire for speaker cable.

Lastly the mission is a reasonable sub and a while ago was available at richers I think for less than £250 as it was being discontinued.If you are willing to spend up to £600 as eviljohn says models from SVS B&W and Velodyne should be looked at.

At just over £400 the SVS PB10-ISD would be a good choice (prices are soon going up due to UK distributor being appointed) you currently would have to buy direct from SVS in the US (they handle all the shipping) or the BK Monolith both these subs have plenty written about them on these forums just do a search.

Stepping up the ladder to around £650 an SVS 20-39PC+ would probably be all the sub you would ever need or a 20-39PCi the next sub down in the cylinder range for around £550.

There are plenty of SVS owners around who would be happy to do you a demo you only need to ask.

7. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,130
    Just had a look at hyperfi website they are advertising the Mission 78as at £149 which is a bargain if they have them in stock.

Hyperfi have a habit of advertising certain items at very low prices but don't have them in stock.

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I believe that the Mission 78 range has now been discontinued but that Hyperfi are selling some residual stock cheaply - they occasionally put them on eBay too so it's worth a look there. I havn't heard the 78AS myself but there's a user review here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118172&highlight=78as

You have many good and interesting points about cables, why not put your thoughts into the cables forum where I and others can try to explain our own interpretations. :)

9. slamb

slamb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i have looked into the svs subs and i am impressed, i could have bought my mission for£149 now i will probably spend £650 on a speaker i hadn't even heard of before! is this how home cinema works? :) when i order the svs do i have to specify 240v or will they do that automatically? and do you know how the customs/vat thing works? thanks for the help guys, and i will be moving to the cables forum shortly to provoke some audiophiles!

10. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,130
    good choice with the svs,which one are you going for?.Yes you will need to tell them you want a 220v model.Regarding the vat this will be handled at the UK end by the shipping agent (Bax Global).

When you order the Sub you pay SVS for the sub & shipping and when the Sub is delivered to you you pay Bax the Vat & a small handling charge for them handling the import paperwork.

11. slamb

slamb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm going to get the 20-39 pc+ thanks :clap:

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    An excellent choice :D

13. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    At risk of sounding like another SVS groupie,I am sure you won't be disappointed,either with the service and speed of delivery,or the performance of the sub when you get it.

I'd tried several subs,and owned both a small Kef and REL prior to buying an SVS on the advice of several people here,and am still very impressed with it.....totally unobtrusive(in musical terms that is!) until required,and then does exactly what it should.

14. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Welcome to the club, you will not be disappointed.