What sub?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by toon10, Nov 30, 2018.

1. toon10

toon10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

I'm not too familiar with subs but I'm looking to spruce up my system and wanted to ask the collective advice from those in the know.

My setup in the kitchen/family room includes a Yamaha RN-602 streamer/amp running Monitor Audio silver 6 floor standers. I love the speakers and they sound great at loud volumes. There's no need for extra bass or punch when the dial is cranked up. My problem is that at low volumes and normal listening, I find the sound can lack a bit of punch. As such I'm looking to buy a musical sub woofer.

My thinking is that it doesn't need to be really powerful as all I am after is a bit more bass at lower volumes.

1. Do I need to match the speakers to the sub (monitor audio) as I've heard that may not be the case?
    2. Does anyone have any recommendations based on my room size and system that would deliver punch without drowning the music?
    3. Is the proposed placement from my picture going to cause me issues?

Budget can be up to £350 although I'm happy to spend less than half that if I can achieve what I want (although I suspect I may be being hopeful here!)

Thanks in advance. room.jpg

2. Stever10

Stever10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
  3. Chownie

Chownie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    With your budget have a look at BK Electronic subs. I've the Monolith and it sounds awesome.

4. Russ_64

Russ_64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    That looks like a big open space - I would recommend you look at the BK P12-300.
    Mine is not overbearing and blends in nicely with the overall sound - not sure what room correction system you get on that Amp, so your experience may differ.

5. toon10

toon10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks. It seems the BK is a good shout at my budget for what I want. It's good to hear that the P12-300 is not overbearing and blends in well. I think that's a must for me.