• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What Sub Will my Stereo take. Im new to this

xElliooot

Standard Member
Im in need of a sub for my Panasonic SA-AK25, and have NO CLUE what it can handle without blowing it.
Here is the picture of what it says on the back.
http://obrazki.elektroda.net/20_1256499885.jpg

It currently has the 2 speakers attached with 2 ok subs in it.

I would like to upper the sub, i was wondering what is the MAX sub i can put onto this stereo system.
I also took this picture from the online manual if this is any use : Screenshot by Lightshot

Online Manual : http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/SCAK25.PDF

MemX

Hello :)

The stereo does not have a dedicated Subwoofer connection on it, so you would have to attempt to link the speaker cables to the inputs of a separate amplifier+subwoofer and hope the impedance change would not affect the internal amplifier for the existing speakers.

Or you would have to buy a new stereo!

Last edited:

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
You need a S/W with a high level input capability. You can then connect it to either of the speaker outputs or with some suitable resistors, to both.

xElliooot

Standard Member
Hello :)

The stereo does not have a dedicated Subwoofer connection on it, so you would have to attempt to link the speaker cables to the inputs of a separate amplifier+subwoofer and hope the impedance change would not affect the internal amplifier for the existing speakers.

Or you would have to buy a new stereo!
Would you be able to link me to the things what i would need.

Idid not really understand that as im new to electronics.

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
Welcome to AVForums by the way!

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
What's your budget.

MemX

You could have a Passive sub with no internal amp and combine it with an external amp, or the sub may be Active and have the amplifier built in. (You would need additional connections between an external amp and Passive sub.)

I think you would:
- leave the stereo set up as it is now
- connect a wire from the + of the speaker to the + input on the amplifier/subwoofer
- connect a wire from the - of the speaker to the - input on the amplifier/subwoofer
- make sure the amplifier/subwoofer is plugged into the wall :p

The amplifier/subwoofer should then work :) If it has a High Pass Filter built in then it will filter out the high frequencies the sub can't play.

As it will be wired in Parallel, it will mean lower impedance (ohms) at the stereo itself. This may place strain on the stereo.

Ideally you would buy a stereo with a dedicated subwoofer output, but we understand we all have limited budgets :)

Last edited:

xElliooot

Standard Member
You could have a Passive sub with no internal amp and combine it with an external amp, or the sub may be Active and have the amplifier built in. (You would need additional connections between an external amp and Passive sub.)

I think you would:
- leave the stereo set up as it is now
- connect a wire from the + of the speaker to the + input on the amplifier/subwoofer
- connect a wire from the - of the speaker to the - input on the amplifier/subwoofer
- make sure the amplifier/subwoofer is plugged into the wall :p

The amplifier/subwoofer should then work :) If it has a High Pass Filter built in then it will filter out the high frequencies the sub can't play.

As it will be wired in Parallel, it will mean lower impedance (ohms) at the stereo itself. This may place strain on the stereo.

Ideally you would buy a stereo with a dedicated subwoofer output, but we understand we all have limited budgets :)
Thankyou for the advice/help.

So you are saying buy a cheap amp ang buy a sub with about 3ohm ? 800w ?
and wire it up how you said ?

Davek0974

As said, just buy an active sub with a high level input option.

Both my REL units have this, it connects with three wires straight to the speaker output on the amp, does not place any load on the amp and should not affect its operation in any way.

It's the easiest and safest option.

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
+1 for me!

Firstly, your system is budget in nature and the frequency range of the amplifers has a cut off perhaps higher than you would like! The speaker cross-over appears to be incorporated in the main cabinet and not in the speakers and has a crossover frequency of 200Hz.

This subwoofer will give you a significant improvement and looking at the datasheet has high and low levels of input. Subsequently, you can connect your speaker outputs directly to it without risk of harm to your system. Also, when you decide to upgrade your system to hifi separates (and you probably will) it will also work with a more modern and sophisticated system.

Tannoy SFX SUB Black | Subwoofer | Richer Sounds

http://www.tannoy.com/products/284/SFX 5.1 Sub manual LR_2011317.pdf

Pop along to your local RS for a listen. Ring first to make sure they have in stock and on demo. Hope this helps!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom