what sub? Will it be worth it?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by philthyanimal, Sep 18, 2007.

1. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    since i stated with this hobby of home cinema i've had a few sets of speakers and kept little bits all the way. i started ff with the kef 1005 set, sold the speakers but kept the sub. bought a set of 2005's wih out a sub, used the 1005 sub. now i have a set of q1's as l/r a q 9c as centre and 4 2005s at the back giving 7.1.
    after all the upgrades the one thing i haven't changed is the sub. i'm wondering, money wise would this be the first thing to swap? or should i just change the whole lot, i'm buying an onkyo 905 amp and a new 50" plasma, as well as an electric screen for my PJ, so i could probably only go about a grand for speakers.
    i've heard bk subs a very good.

2. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Your sub is undoubtably the weak link.

Without wishing to diss the Kef, well Ok, I'll diss the Kef - It's a fart box.

I absolutely promise you that you won't recognise the sound of your system with the best sub you can afford, but I would add that replacing your side surrounds with a good pair of di/bi/tripoles makes a big difference too.

For maximum bang for your remaining bucks, search out the Kef Q2ds. They should be available for about £200 by now, which is criminal for a five driver, full size dipole speaker. Leave a pair of Eggs on rear surround duties, but I'd also suggest trying the system in 5.1. Five really good channels, beat 7 average ones.

That should leave you enough to consider The BK Monolith or better still the SVS PB-12/Plus which you will see in the Forum powerbuy. If looks aren't an issue, the SVS Cylinders are even better value, being basically the same sub in a furry toilet roll.

You could change the speakers for something better within your budget, but I feel you would be missing out on the massive gains a serious sub will bring. You could then confidently dump all the bass duties on the sub which will bring gains in not only quality of bass, but in midrange and treble clarity as the speakers and amp get an easier ride.

Russell

3. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    I keep throwing money at various parts of my system but the biggest single improvement I ever made, and probably will ever make, was the introduction of a 'real' sub to my system.

Most upgrades tend to be incremental but going from a Yamaha YSTSW90 'fart box' as Russell puts it, to an SVS PB12 Ultra, was just staggering. :eek:

The only down side is that you will probably never again experience the thrill of such a dramatic change to your system ;)

Having recently upgraded to 7.1 myself I would have to say it is probably the smallest performance upgrade I have made and wasn't really worth it. Good di/bi/tripole surrounds in an average sized room really negate the need for extra rear speakers IMO :)

4. Morb

Morb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Pretty much sums up how i felt about getting my PB12+, first and only sub i have bought. If there is ever anything anyone comments about after watching a film it is the bass. :smashin:

Get the best sub you can afford and get past your partner/parents it will totally change your setup and experience.

Regarding 5.1 vs 7.1 i would as said before stick with 5.1 unless you have a very big room.

5. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    If Russell mentions furry toilet rolls in the same breath as SVS cylinders once more I'm just going to have to suggest he upgrades to one. :devil:

6. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Russel must have a 5' wide ass if he needs toilet rolls the same size as a SVS cylinder sub:rotfl:

7. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    :rotfl:

...now you know how sensitive Russell is :nono:

8. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: