• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question What sub should I buy

garydunlop

Novice Member
I'm looking to add a sub to the current speaker set up

I've got a Yamaha rx671 7.1 amp

Tannoy Mercury f4 custom floor standers
Tannoy Mercury f1 rears and centre speaker

Room size is 12 ft x 22ft with wooden flooring

I need to add a sub, budget is sub £200

I've seen the Roth kh30 for £150, and the wharf dale 150 for the same price, any other recommendation, happy to go used if I can find a decent bit of kit better than the new option

garydunlop

Novice Member
I've seen a new monitor audio bronze bxw10 for offer for £200 how would that compare to say a new Gemini or used bk xxl400, Gemini coming in around 230 delivered a used xxl400 maybe 300 if I can find a used one. The xxl400 is above budget really, but interested in opinion on these above

garydunlop

Novice Member
Seems to be an increase on budget on the cards, options now being a rel 5, bk xxxl400 or the monitor audio bxw10

Anyone help with suggestions or info on those 3, will mostly be for movies and to, with some music

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You may as well go the whole hog and get the BK Monolith!!! Can double up as a table too.
From the 3 you mention the BK and Rel are probably the better options with the BK probably being the better value for money. I have a Rel and love it but they tend to be a bit pricier than a similar performing BK.

garydunlop

Novice Member
Cheers buddy.....lol

I'm new to all this, or rather after 2 kids taken a long break from treating myself with this kinda stuff.

Thinking a used rel 5 may fit the bill or a bk xxl400 whichever I can find

garydunlop

Novice Member
@PSM1 what rel do you have. I've been offered a T5 traded in for 240. It's as new with 2 yr warranty from a hifi shop

I'm assuming the monolith would be overkill on the room and system vi have

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I have the old T1.
Not sure there is such a thing as overkill when it comes to subs!!!! A bigger sub may not be needed in a small room but if it goes lower etc. then will still have gains over a small sub even in a small room. That said it seems a reasonable price for the Rel.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom