1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What sub should go with this setup?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by raven219, Jun 4, 2003.

1. raven219

raven219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Ok so I was looking at upgrading my speakers (in a previous thread) but someone recommended a I get a sub. Setup is described below. Would like the sub to add to music (primary use of setup) but also kick life into DVDs. What would you recommend?

Setup
    Arcam 88+
    Arcam AVR200
    Tannoy M2's
    Tannoy MXC
    Mordant Short 302's (satellites)

Budget 200-300.

Cheers

Raven

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If your primary use is for music you would probably be best served with a REL as their connectivity is so much better than most others which increases their flexibility.

Unfortunately a budget of £300 probably doesn't buy you a new REl except a Quake if you can get a good discount. I have only heard the Quake once and wasn't impressed.

The MJ Acoustics Pro 50 is another sub that is good with music and is available at £300 but failing that your best bet would be a second hand REL Strata but they are like buses with none around for ages then a few come on the market at once.

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can stretch your budget just a tiny bit, this is your best bet:

click here

I had one of these and they're stunning at their normal price. At the Power Buy price it's a total no brainer.

Fantastic, deep bass with zero distortion. Completely destroys the Rel Q150.

4. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76601

Most likely better than most compact subs under £500. In fact, I'd put money on it.... £279, to be exact! :D

Edit - BTW, I have demo'd B&W ASW675 and REL Q200E and they are roughly compable (IMHO) for over twice the money. The MJA Pro 50 doesn't even come close. Like the REL, you can use both the high and low level connections at the same time.

MuFu.