What SUB for my system?

Doc

Prominent Member
Reaction score
All this talk of stomach-turning rumbles has finally persuaded me to complete my setup with a suitable sub.

Amp - Sony 930 (to be replaced with a Denon something or other next year)
DVD - Pioneer 530
Speakers - Missions 78 series. (782s, 78C, 78DSs)

Is important to match a SUB to what I have?.. or should I just pick a budget, and buy whatever gets a good review? Demo'ing will be difficult, cos there's no sub retailer within a 100 miles of me! :(

Subs don't have to be "matched" like other speakers do so in theory any sub will do. In practice many of the cheaper subs aren't very good and could make a system actually sound worse. Let us know what your budget is and no doubt you will receive many different ideas.

Have a look at the Velodyne CHT-10 in the Power Buy forum as this is a "real" sub at a good price.

Thanks Ian, that's helpful.

I suppose my budget is not too fixed - if I feel I am getting some worthwhile and that will last, I'm prepared to spend a bit. On the cosmetics front, I don't want a big black box - something in a beech finish to match everything else.

I've read about the Velodyne's, and I suppose I remain sceptical and suspicious about claims that all other subs are inferior. Hmm..

EDIT - crumbs.. triple posted! My 'trigger finger' must be playing up... !

I'm not sure what's available in beech but there may be models from B&W or the new Mission at £500.

What puts me off the Mission (despite the good magazine review) is the rather large front port which would be like a magnet to my young son for disposing of surplus food.

Originally posted by Doc

I suppose my budget is not too fixed I'm prepared to spend a bit. On the cosmetics front, I don't want a big black box - something in a beech finish to match everything else.

I've read about the Velodyne's, and I suppose I remain sceptical and suspicious about claims that all other subs are inferior. Hmm..
In that case get a Velo. CHT-15.
Another thought is...............has anybody ever painted their sub ?
Or, used that sticky back, Fablon stuff to cover it in whatever colour you fancy. I believe you can also get different coloured accoustic cloth, so you can redesign the front !!!

Kev

Originally posted by mozzer
In that case get a Velo. CHT-15.
Hmm.. not convinced about them, yet. And 'black vinyl' finish too... bleurgh!

Originally posted by Doc
Hmm.. not convinced about them, yet. And 'black vinyl' finish too... bleurgh!
Which is why i mentioned adding your own finishing touch...:rolleyes:
Oh the 15..............the 15...........:D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom