What sub for a room roughly 3m x 4m

Decision made and sub on order :D

Only one, no space for two. Even one might be too big!

Decision made and sub on order :D

Great! Hope you have some good flicks waiting, although most people want to re-watch everything with new sub. ;)

You can put the XLS200 for sale on classifieds. It`s usually very popular and if you get the price right i think it will be days and it`s sold!

Before I get the sub I thought I would have a read of the owners manual. Its a bit confusing on the setup of the sub so can anyone advise how I should initially setup before I run Audyssey.

Monolith 10 THX Back Panel.jpg

Thanks

I have mine set:
Crossover ignore
Phase ignore initially
Level set at THX
Crossover THX
EQ THX
Power up to you mine is Auto

Only use phase after running Audyssey if you need to or have 2 subs

I have mine set:
Crossover ignore
Phase ignore initially
Level set at THX
Crossover THX
EQ THX

Thank you. I will set phase to 0 for now.

Last edited:
Before I get the sub I thought I would have a read of the owners manual. Its a bit confusing on the setup of the sub so can anyone advise how I should initially setup before I run Audyssey.

View attachment 1634461

Thanks

You got an amazing deal. Don't think you'll get a better deal. Amazing purchase.

To supplement the low end, if you're short on space and still have some money left in the tank, I reccomend you buy an NX3000D and build a hoverBOSS. You will be VERY impressed and you WILL thank me.

You will also have approximately £10,000 worth of subwoofer tactility for under £1,000. It will also (if you tune it) help supplement some nulls from your Monolith 10'' (its an underrated fact looked over in hoverBOSS builds).

Set THX off, extneded mode. It has better extension in that mode.

I have mine set:
Crossover ignore
Phase ignore initially
Level set at THX
Crossover THX
EQ THX

Try without THX mate. THX actually holds the sub back in its extension. Let it rip at the low end.

You got an amazing deal. Don't think you'll get a better deal. Amazing purchase.

To supplement the low end, if you're short on space and still have some money left in the tank, I reccomend you buy an NX3000D and build a hoverBOSS. You will be VERY impressed and you WILL thank me.

You will also have approximately £10,000 worth of subwoofer tactility for under £1,000. It will also (if you tune it) help supplement some nulls from your Monolith 10'' (its an underrated fact looked over in hoverBOSS builds).

Set THX off, extneded mode. It has better extension in that mode.
I will try EQ in both positions, I assume Audessey will need to be rerun when I change the setting.

I will try EQ in both positions, I assume Audessey will need to be rerun when I change the setting.

Yes. Just use extended. Literally the THX mode just neuters the sub to attain strictly THX standards as THX don't care about super infra-sonics at the low end. The change to distortion is miniscule.

Yes. Just use extended. Literally the THX mode just neuters the sub to attain strictly THX standards as THX don't care about super infra-sonics at the low end. The change to distortion is miniscule.
So how does this look?

Crossover dial - Ignore
Phase dial - 0
Level dial - THX REF LEVEL or -12dB?
Crossover - THX (OFF)
EQ - EXTENDED

So how does this look?

Crossover dial - Ignore
Phase dial - 0
Crossover - THX (OFF)
EQ - EXTENDED

Set the level do what you need it to be. Its going to be room dependant.
Set crossover off - yes, let the receiver deal with it.
EQ fine :)

So how does this look?

Crossover dial - Ignore
Phase dial - 0
Crossover - THX (OFF)
EQ - EXTENDED

You can keep on eye of the "subwoofer level" in your Denon menu. It shouldn`t come back at -12db and 0db wouldn´t be ideal either. Somewhere between -8db and -4db is usually fine as you can tweak it from the menu without touching the subwoofers knobs anymore. Run only 3mic positions with Audussey to check are you in the ball park.

Last edited:
Question for DavidT if I may, how are you getting on with the Mono 10"? Are you impressed? I have a similar sized room to yours and am currently considering this sub while this offer is on.

Thanks.

Don't think he has it yet, maybe Thursday.

He has had it and posted on this thread.

Question for DavidT if I may, how are you getting on with the Mono 10"? Are you impressed? I have a similar sized room to yours and am currently considering this sub while this offer is on.

Thanks.
The sub wasn't delivered until yesterday so I've not had much time to evaluate it properly. My initial impressions are positive though. I have done the initial setup but not had much time to properly test the sub in my system yet. Hopefully over the next few days I will be able to stretch the system more.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply I would be very interested to hear your conclusions once evaluated.

The sub wasn't delivered until yesterday so I've not had much time to evaluate it properly. My initial impressions are positive though. I have done the initial setup but not had much time to properly test the sub in my system yet. Hopefully over the next few days I will be able to stretch the system more.
How are you getting on with the sub now?

How are you getting on with the sub now?
I’m very happy with the Mono 10. I’m still running it in but I have run full Audessey and will run again soon. The Mono is definitely a step up or more from my BK XLS200 and I’m hearing much deeper bass from my favourite movies.

One thing I will add is that the cabinet finish is better in person than the online pictures suggest but not as nice as the satin black on my BK.

Yep, ive decided to sell my monolith (it’s just to big for the room) and go back to 2 bk 300 df with one of the nice wood finishes more like furniture plus there a great sub

Last edited:
Yep, ive decided to sell my monolith (it’s just to big for the room) and go back to 2 bk 300 df with one of the nice wood finishes more like furniture plus there a great sub
The trouble with the BK is they are such old tech.

That really is a shame, if you sell though you should not loose much money, shame I already have duals as I would have had it off you. :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom