What sub for a room roughly 3m x 4m

Its a small room at only approx. 1050 cubic ft so wouldnt dual SB2000 be overkill?

Don't think so. Or get single sb3000. Svs are pretty expensive now so maybe better value for money brands out there?

I had a single sub ultra in a smaller room.

Its a small room at only approx. 1050 cubic ft so wouldnt dual SB2000 be overkill?
My room dimensions aren't to dissimilar to your 3m wide by 4.57m long with standard height ceilings etc. I run dual SB2000 Pro's and don't find them overkill at all.

My room dimensions aren't to dissimilar to your 3m wide by 4.57m long with standard height ceilings etc. I run dual SB2000 Pro's and don't find them overkill at all.

Depends on usage..dual Gemini will be plenty for 2ch hifi music system.

Depends on usage..dual Gemini will be plenty for 2ch hifi music system.
But we know that @DavidT uses his system mainly for movies 🤣🤣...

Incidentally my system is used 50/50 movies to music and I much prefer the headroom that SB2000 Pro's offer over the smaller Gemini's.

That's not to knock the Gemini mind. Merely pointing out that the SVS will offer similar musical performance, with the advantage of having plenty of headroom.

My mind boggles at some of the rationale (or lack of it) in your posts! 🤣

Its not about overkill, its about covering null points in your frequency response to get a smooth response curve.

Your options are really limited but to try and limit you having to upgrade again, I would prioritise

1. Output
2. Sound quality
3. Extension

So I'd try to get a subwoofer which is going to give you some meaningful output in your room close to 10hz, output so that if you do move room you don't need to upgrade them and packs sound quality.

I think thats key to a subwoofer purchase. You really want it to be buy once, cry once scenario. Its not nice having to upgrade AGAIN... and a well thoughout sub purchase should leave you not needing to do that.

I'd really look into the Arendal line. The 1723S subs go flat to 10hz in most rooms and I think their 1961s aren't that far away either. I believe their extension is better than the SVS offerings at their respective price points.

Monoprice is still the brand to beat for output per dollar and pretty much match Arendal in output.

SVS you're paying for branding, the name, the fit and finish and the app. You're sacrificing extension and output.

PSA are also a great shout but they'r expensive and getting a second later on the down the line might be tough.

All of the brands I mentioned above are excellent and IMO multiple tiers above BK. BK are great for what they are but if you're looking at the names above, then I'd just put BK's offerings out of your mind unless the budget becomes restricted. If I could swap my BK mono+ for ANY of the brands above now, I would.

But we know that @DavidT uses his system mainly for movies 🤣🤣...

Incidentally my system is used 50/50 movies to music and I much prefer the headroom that SB2000 Pro's offer over the smaller Gemini's.

That's not to knock the Gemini mind. Merely pointing out that the SVS will offer similar musical performance, with the advantage of having plenty of headroom.

My mind boggles at some of the rationale (or lack of it) in your posts! 🤣
Yup they're in a different league.

If OP can afford SVS, Arendal, Monoprice.. then lets take BK off the table as he can get more extension, headroom, sound quality, dynamics and if he wants, fit/finish/app control from other brands.

The Denon X3700 is on my list of potential AVR upgrades along with the X4700, X4500 and Marantz SR7015.

My problem is that I like a bargain and the Monolith 10 THX looks like a bargain but having said that money isnt an issue I'm just a bit tight when it comes to spending on myself.
Just realised OP, you set a budget of £500 but you seem to be a bit vague on how flexible you are. Give us a maximum spend and we can present you with the best options.

Inform if this is the total budget over the next 12-24 months OR would you be willing to buy one subwoofer, and save up to go duals in the next 12-24 months. If you think you won't be able to get the money together for a second sub of high quality, there is a strong argument for going duals with an inferior sub because covering nulls and a smooth response is very important.

Also if you go dual, factor in the price of a UMIK-1 and a MiniDSP2x4HD.

This all can get a bit expensive so setting an appropriate budget is massively important. I wouldn't feel comfortable reccomending duals to you without the tools already purchases to take advantage of them.. and those tools require some ££.

Just realised OP, you set a budget of £500 but you seem to be a bit vague on how flexible you are. Give us a maximum spend and we can present you with the best options.

Inform if this is the total budget over the next 12-24 months OR would you be willing to buy one subwoofer, and save up to go duals in the next 12-24 months. If you think you won't be able to get the money together for a second sub of high quality, there is a strong argument for going duals with an inferior sub because covering nulls and a smooth response is very important.

Also if you go dual, factor in the price of a UMIK-1 and a MiniDSP2x4HD.

This all can get a bit expensive so setting an appropriate budget is massively important. I wouldn't feel comfortable reccomending duals to you without the tools already purchases to take advantage of them.. and those tools require some ££.
Yes my budget is a bit vague. o_O Its a budget that I set at the outset but I have been known in the past to go over my initial budget, sometimes way over. My overall budget for this year is around £2.0k which I plan to spend on a subwoofer, an AVR and with luck a pair of MA Silver FX surrounds but my goal is value for money. I'm not a big audiophile so optimum audio performance is not the goal. The aesthetics though are important even though the sub will be behind my sofa and not really seen, I like a nice looking sub. :thumbsup:

Dual subs are unlikely to happen, not in this house anyway. I could squeeze in a couple of small sealed subs, XLS200 for instance, but for a pair of larger ported subs I don't have the space. I get what you are saying about the advantages of dual subs though.

The AVR purchase is another thing as at the moment new ones are over priced IMO and used ones are silly over priced IMO so I will likely have to wait until later this year. At least my existing Denon is working well and the next purchase will really only be for 4k support.

Yes my budget is a bit vague. o_O Its a budget that I set at the outset but I have been known in the past to go over my initial budget, sometimes way over. My overall budget for this year is around £2.0k which I plan to spend on a subwoofer, an AVR and with luck a pair of MA Silver FX surrounds but my goal is value for money. I'm not a big audiophile so optimum audio performance is not the goal. The aesthetics though are important even though the sub will be behind my sofa and not really seen, I like a nice looking sub. :thumbsup:

Dual subs are unlikely to happen, not in this house anyway. I could squeeze in a couple of small sealed subs, XLS200 for instance, but for a pair of larger ported subs I don't have the space. I get what you are saying about the advantages of dual subs though.

The AVR purchase is another thing as at the moment new ones are over priced IMO and used ones are silly over priced IMO so I will likely have to wait until later this year. At least my existing Denon is working well and the next purchase will really only be for 4k support.

For that budget, and trying to get a few more purchases out of the £2k, I'd just strictly look at the Monoprice range as no one else is going to match the performance, sound quality and output per £.

That puts your options into the Mono 10, 12 or 15. Or the new 14 which should be with us at some point.

From there, go for whichever one fits your space. If you're only ever going to run 1 sub, get the biggest one you can fit in. If you're not,

The 15" or the new 13" are going to be way out of his budget at circa £1300-1500 but if he want's to push the boat out and can get it in there is a single new 12" THX at American Audio going for £799 and maybe even a bit less if he talks to Chris.

That should leave you enough for a used Denon X4500/4700 and a pair of MA surrounds to round off your system nicely. PS Don't ignore the Marantz equivalent for receivers 7011/7012 as they are in the same class as the 4xxx Denon's.

The 15" or the new 13" are going to be way out of his budget at circa £1300-1500 but if he want's to push the boat out and can get it in there is a single new 12" THX at American Audio going for £799 and maybe even a bit less if he talks to Chris.

That should leave you enough for a used Denon X4500/4700 and a pair of MA surrounds to round off your system nicely. PS Don't ignore the Marantz equivalent for receivers 7011/7012 as they are in the same class as the 4xxx Denon's.
Couldn't he go second hand on the AVR and surrounds? I've seen some phenomenal AVR deals on the classifields.

I did say second hand (used) AVR as to the speakers yes those also. Used speakers are always a bargain as they rarely go faulty and last years so a great second hand option.:)

There's a cracking Marantz 6011 going here for under £500 but he is in the North and does not have a box so reluctant to post.

I am looking at classifieds for the AVR but I think they are not particularly value for money. That 6011 is how old and still nearly £500, I thought the X4500 on ebay yesterday was expensive at the price it went for, well over £700, for a 3 year old AVR with no warranty. I know what you're thinking, I'm tight :D

I am looking at classifieds for the AVR but I think they are not particularly value for money. That 6011 is how old and still nearly £500, I thought the X4500 on ebay yesterday was expensive at the price it went for, well over £700, for a 3 year old AVR with no warranty. I know what you're thinking, I'm tight :D

Bargains do exist, biggest one of mine was mint pair of speakers 90% off

I think the lack of stock of new AVRs is holding up the price of the used ones. Hang in there, you'll pick both an AVR and speakers up, just have to keep your eyes open.

3mx4m is very close to my room. Most people are recommended ported though, where as my thread seemed to come to the conclusion that sealed would work better with room gain.

Are the recommendations more to do with the value that Monoprice provides and the fact that they don't produce a sealed model?

I think the lack of stock of new AVRs is holding up the price of the used ones. Hang in there, you'll pick both an AVR and speakers up, just have to keep your eyes open.

3mx4m is very close to my room. Most people are recommended ported though, where as my thread seemed to come to the conclusion that sealed would work better with room gain.

Are the recommendations more to do with the value that Monoprice provides and the fact that they don't produce a sealed model?

Yes and the fact he would go just with one sub, one larger which offers very good performance. Not many sealed subs at 500£ either. SB1000 Pro costs over 600£. The guy in the video i linked also liked the Mono 10 more over REL HT/1205 500w 12" sealed. That is still option at 599£ if size is issue. I remember one member who had this REL and then he upgraded to 1200£ costing M&K V12 which you have. He was bit disappointed as the M&K performed same, but sounded little better = not worth the huge price jump. There is video on youtube, some guy compared this to SB2000 Pro (899£) and this hit more harder so returned SVS. Surely a good option.

I think Smurfin has PSA 2x 18" (dual driver) ported in very small room. Someone here had 2x PB3000 too. BK Monolith in this size of room was the norm ~10years ago here at AVF. If we see what US guys have there is dual 12" ported in small rooms and they are loving it. No reason why Mono 10 wouldn´t work in 3x4 room, especially after the receiver upgrade (XT32) as that is going eq the sub lot more effectively. Ed Mullen said it does basically the same as SVS Room Gain Compensation feature so brings the boosted (room gain) down.

The Monolith 10 THX is now £390 with a discount code.

It's on the website splash page 22% off just apply that to the order.

DavidT don’t know if your aware there’s a £50 off on eBay code ends today , I’ve just bought some monitor audio silver fx 6g in white from Peter Tyson eBay total cost £250

Bargains do exist, biggest one of mine was mint pair of speakers 90% off
Haven't Trotters Independent Trading Co ceased to exist since then?

For the OP, make sure you subscribe to the relevant classifieds sections so you're notified as soon as something is listed.

Just a reminder that the topic is appropriate subs, not discount AVgear :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom