1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What sub for £500 - £1000?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by targetrich, Sep 11, 2005.

1. targetrich

targetrich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Preferably £500! I've got a couple of Proac D15's, but informed wisdom is that I needed get a Proac sub. so what are the best alternatives? My KEF sub (which came with the 2005 system) is overdue retirement!

Anyone?

2. tahirti3

tahirti3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have a look at the classifieds.i have a revel b15a for sale.this would probably be the last sub you would buy.if interested make me an offer

3. Weidass

Weidass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    SVS are meant to be really good for the $$$. but i aint heard any svs so i would say REL storm 5 :p

4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,223
    What size room,movies or music or both,new or used, how loud do you listen.Please answer these questions and maybe we can be of more help.

5. targetrich

targetrich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, My room is a flat, not much in the way of soft furnishings (it is a bachelor pad, after all) I listen to classical and rock music through my Proac D15's, and watch a variety of DVDs, but if it plays Lord of the Rings, TOp Gun and The Others well, it'll past the test. I've noticed the B&W PV1, which looks good. Know anything about it?

6. targetrich

targetrich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh, and it's quite a large room, and I like it loud! :thumbsup:

7. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,223
    Targetrich

You say quite a large room,how large, including height of ceiling as a rooms cu ft really can make quite a difference with regard to the sub choice regarding its power output.

Also if you want to spend £500 rather than up to a £1000 this will probably put you in second hand territory as far as the better subs go,other than maybe a BK monolith or a SVS PB10-ISD.

On the other hand, second hand would put you in SVS's better cylinder or box subs area.New these subs would be around £600 and up.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Having owned both an SVS and a REL Storm I am in a position to say that there is no comparison whatsoever.

Something like the PB 12-Plus will play much louder, much deeper and with much less distortion than the Storm and at £700 to £730 ish possibly has no equal at the price, but it is also bigger.

9. targetrich

targetrich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phew, I'm out of my depth here, I don't recognise any of those names! Are they available at your typical hifi shop? there's a PV1 on Ebay at the moment which I anticipate will go for about £850 - is that a bargain?

My room is about 10 feet high and 25 feet wide, and probably twice as long.

10. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    50 x 25 x 10 ? 12500 cubic feet?

Woah

Get two subs :)

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    SVS are currently only available directly from the manufacturer in USA which is why they are probably at about half of the price that they would be if they were available through "your typical hifi shop"

You don't say whereabouts in the country you live as there tends to be enthusiastic SVS owners in most areas, many of whom are happy to offer a demo.

If you are unsure about ordering directly from USA the company are about to announce the appointment of a UK distributor which might make life easier for you.

12. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    SVS, Velodyne or B&W seem like the obvious places to start in your price bracket and you should find something to suit from their ranges without too much trouble. :)

13. Madskilzz

Madskilzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I guess it's an open plan flat.

I wouldn't want to put a price on what subwoofer it will take to fill a room that size with loud n deep bass, but you can forget about the B&W PV1, twin 8" drivers ain't gonna cut it. Your best bet is to keep an eye on the classifieds for a high end SVS,Velodyne,Rel or B&W sub.

Someone recommended the Revel b15a...you will also find a Velodyne hgs-15 for sale which is within your price range.

All the best :smashin:

14. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,223
    If your room really is as large as you say I would think that you will need more than 1 or even 2 high end subs to fill it.

If you contact the following person, rons@svsubwoofers.com this is Ron Stimpson's e-mail address and he is one of the owners of SVS.

If you give him your room dimensions he will advise what sub or rather subs you will require to fill this room with bass.You can be assured that Ron will not try to oversell you to products that are more than you need.

However to fill your room I woul;d think you will have to spend considerably more than £1000 to get any meaningfull bass in a room that size.

I know of people with 4 paradigm servo 15" subs in rooms much smaller than yours, so good luck with finding some subs to suit your requirements.

15. targetrich

targetrich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Um, I may have put the dimensions a little high.....!

It's about a metre and 3/4 high, just less than 3 metres wide and probably 7-8 metres long.

Not that I mind the idea of a huge open plan flat. Maybe I'll buy one with my second milllion! It's a pretty typical flat, with the living area at one end, and a kitchen at the other. Sorry for misleading you all. I'm going to do some google searches under the makes mentioned above...

To be honest, though, I am rather taken by the appearance of the PV-1 (I know I shouldn't say that on a web site dedicated to obtaining the best sound possible, but as I get older I do get fussier...)

16. targetrich

targetrich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try that again...its 2metres 40 centimetres high, 4 and 1/2 metres wide and 11 metres long. Right. Now, if anyone has had the patience and forebearance to out up with my idiocy, I'd be grateful!

17. targetrich

targetrich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is anyone else having problems with the speed of this site?

My final estimate - 2 1/2 metres high, 4 1/2 metres wide and 11 metres long.

Now, if anyone has had the patience to put up with my idiocy, I'd be grateful!

18. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Forget about the PV1......
    Although, if you have never owned a sub before then you would be impressed by it.......
    Just dont listern to anyone else's sub once you've brought it.
    I had one for a home demo and it just could not do what my servo's do, or what my svs used to do.
    If you want a good sub that goes low, then i've got a servo 15 going spare for the right price........2 is just too much for my room so i'm down gradeing.

Dont waste your money on a PV1, as other's have said, there is so much better for that sort of money, either new or second hand.