1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What SUB do I need ???

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bboy-mass, Jan 28, 2003.

1. bboy-mass

bboy-mass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I want to feel the bass not hear it. What sub and how much would i need to pay for that kind of quality?.

R.
    Mass

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    £325 for a Velodyne CHT-10 in the Power Buy Forum

3. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or double that for a cht-15, you know you want to!!:devil: :D

4. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    or £350 for a Mission M5AS...

5. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I'd love to know who's quoting you £350 notes for a Mission M5AS..normal SRP is £500..

6. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    What size is the room its going in and do you have a budget in mind?

Answers to these will help you get a bit more feedback.

Bry

7. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    HiFi confidential will do a Mission M5AS for £300 + Delivery (£320) (Had them in stock when I phoned) and I bought mine from The Hifi Store for £356.... last week (I work down the road, and prefer buying these things face to face)

Was going to get the CHT-10, demo'd one at a friends flat, and although very impressive, I wanted something that not only rattles your teeth with sub-bass, but also pounds you to death with the low audible stuff....

and the fact its beech, with a silver port means putting it in full view for best placement is easier on the missus.....

I also prefer the mission in music, as it has the ability to move some air, and give you a good pounding... just how I like it....

8. bones`

bones`

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Demon how long ago was your query to Hi-Fi Confidential? The best price they quoted me via e-mail was £370 + £20 p+p.

9. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or less than £100 from Richer Sounds for an Eltax which will shake the foundations in the right set up...

10. Chip Johannssen

Chip Johannssen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think that bboy-mass meant feel the bass in that respect as he can get sufficient distortion from the sub that he already has.

11. Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi,

Quote "I want to feel the bass not hear it."

This sounds to me like a job for 'Clark Synthesis Tactile sound'.

Paul.

12. vwgti16v

vwgti16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How good is rel q400e compared to velodyne (cht 15) subs (both movies and music)?

13. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I last phoned Hi-Fi Confidential Jan 12th... and was quoted £300 + Delivery.. and had them in stock....

I Suspect that the recent 5star reviews in WHF and HCC may have something to do with the rising prices...

The Hifi Store have a 10% sale price on, and the instore price was £389.99 less 10%.. £350.99 so I got it there.. (I picked it up to save any delivery charges)...

14. bones`

bones`

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Any chance of a review Demon? Did you demo it alongside any other subs?

15. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Just a quickie then :)

I have only heard a REL Q100E, Velodyne CHT-10 and this Mission, and not all side by side... but at least the Velodyne was properly setup, so I know was not under performing due to a bad demo.. The REL was demo'd in a shop..

I say I'd have to agree with the reviews "its a sub for grown ups with a childish urge"...

Its good musically, and seems to add an enormous amount of controlled weight to music, but this may not be to everyones taste... although it can be turned down of course... but it has the control to be turned up, and not ruin the quality of the music...

As for movies, its just excellent for the money, I'm sure the CHT-15, Paradigm Servo15 are much better, but for half the price, you get 80% the performance.. as the reviews say "Its capable of fear register lows"... and it is... you need a certain level of sub before you transcend from just reinforcing the soundtrack, to 'making' and 'feeling' the sound track, and I think the mission is right there.. It just doesn't seem to distort.. yet you feel the bass...

Its not fair to directly compare with the CHT-10, My mate in work has one, and in initial comparison, it does not have the musical ability or sheer weight and magnitude the mission has in movies... But thats my initial reaction based on listening to his in his front room, and the mission in my front room, so I am inviting him down to demo his CHT-10 and the Mission side by side... so we can compare...

The thing will all subs, the CHT-10/Mission/Whatever is that room placement needs to be thought about, you really need room right around the sub, to get the best response from it, but this means having the unit visible... hiding it behind your TV or furniture will no doubt create excess bass in other parts of the room... and this is where I think the Mission scores a double whammy... if you put something like the CHT-10 in a visible position, then its just a black box, that looks a little hand made, with the front port being a slot at the bottom... the Mission is real-wood veneered, and although much bigger (It is BIG), with its alloy front port, looks the part, and can be counted almost as a piece of furniture.

Its because of this, that I can place it in a few more places, with approval from the missus....

16. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Ian, Velodyne CHT 10 it is AWSOME