1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Sub......again

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by gpc1, Sep 17, 2005.

1. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HEllo all,

I am after a bit of advice :lease: . I know nothing at all about subs so please bear with me.

I am after a small sub that will do th job with my current set up.
    Nad c 350 Amp
    Quad 11l speakers.

I saw a rel quake today wich size wize is great, about 10 inch square. £175 second hand.

Is this a decent sub and will it suit my speakers, also, is this a fair second hand price.
    Are there any other subs i should consider? Budget around £200.

Thanks
    Gpc

2. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
  3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that it's a bit early to start recommending this sub as no-one here knows anything about it apart from a brief spec on a website. Let's wait until someone has actually heard one please before recommending it.

In the meantime the slightly more expensive XLS200 from the same company will provide everything that you want but at a slightly more expensive price as it is £279 new. There may be an existing owner that wants to upgrade to something larger so try an ad in our classified hardware wanted forum.

Subs like the REL Quake and MJ Acoustics Pro 50 are not as good as the XLS200 but they are more plentiful second hand

4. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Which of course is a matter of personal opinion.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    To some extent personal opinion has something to do with it but the superior quality of the components used in the XLS200 should have audible benefit for most people in much the same way that the Audi A3 and the Vauxhall Corsa both compete in the same class and the Audi is demonstrably superior to the Vauxhall but some will prefer the latter.

I have had the benefit of hearing the BK, REL and MJA offerings although admittedly not in the same room at the same time.

6. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Can't agree more - alas the OP asked for kit he should consider and I gave no recommendation. The Gemini is on budget, fits the descrition and comes from a company with a good reputation round these here parts and is therefore IMO worthy of looking at. I would recommend the XLS200 if it wasn't 40% over his budget as I think mine is splendid value for money.

The MJ50 is a very good little sub - I had one for a couple of weeks. The XLS has a lot more power and goes deeper whilst losing nothing to it musically.

7. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    What a load of cobblers. How on earth can you use that as a comparison???
    Considering the A3 is more expensive than the vauxhall, that means the (more expensive) REL is of superior quality and build than the (cheaper) BK, right?

My point exactley, you cannot comapre subwoofers properly if you hear different makes in different rooms at different times.

At the end of the day its down to the listener and his/her ears and of course wallet to make the decision. We can all go on about how good this and that is but they have to be heard first.

hmmm, but then, you cant take a BK or an SVS sub home to try it in your own surroundings can you?

Considering the minor trouble that another forum member is having setting up his SVS sub in his lounge i think ill stick to trying before i buy.

regards

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I didn't realise that the trouble he was having setting his sub up was SVS related. :confused:

TBH it's only very rarely that people even seem to bother trying to set up their subs to the high standard being attempted in that thread. :)

9. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Of course, its not SVS related but the point is "try before you buy".As far as im aware with the SVS and the BK subs its very difficult to do this.

I'd like to point out that im not bashing any sub but it seems that people are far too happy to recommend subs that may work well in their surroundings but not in others. I have had a huge amount of trouble trying to get a sub working properly in my room because of the dreadful accoustics and if it wasnt for my local dealer throwing me various makes and models to try, i wouldnt have the sound i have today.
    And yes, i did end up with the RELS, because i tried them first and they worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smashin:

Just my opinion thats all.

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I'm surprised if the BK has a reputation as being difficult to set up. Though I don't pretend to be a sub junkie, I simply plonked my XLS200 in the corner, twiddled the knobs to what seems to have been the generic advice, and not touched it since. Sounds great and everyone that hears it agrees.

I'd guess most people who have bought the XLS200 have bought it without hearing it first. I wonder how many have returned it?...PJ :)

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I am very pleased that people do recommend subs that work well in their own surroundings as that is exactly what this forum is for.

12. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I wonder at what frequency niceguy is rolling off his speakers? :)

We should be told! :devil:

Nimby

13. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,450
    Who is this poor soul? :rotfl:

TBH having never heard a decent sub before, trying them out would have made no difference to me. Especially as 'out of the box' one sub may not need much tweaking and another that may perform better onece setup coreectly, might. I went for the broad concensus that SVS were awsome and value for money and i happened to like the way they look. Knowing now how setup in some rooms and positions can be awkward doing the same with several subs to find the 'best' is not something I would want to go through and no dealer would either (IMO).

I would feel dreadful if anyone is put off by my experiences. I am, by nature a perfectionist and always want to get the most from what I buy. As EvilJohn has hinted most ppl will probably not go as far as I am bothering but for me the struggle is in a weird way a part of the pleasure. I have learnt so much from the experience and despite the pessimism in some of my posts I am enjoying it immensley.

ATM the sub is probbaly running better than most but by my nature it isn't quite good enough yet :)

If it hadn't been for the numerous recommendations on this forum I wouldn't have purchased this gorgeous sub (thanks) and wouldn't have achieved the perfomance that I have (thanks) and wthout the further recommendations I won't be able to achieve the ultimate setup for my super-sub (thanks)!

Everyone's opinion is purely subjective to their personal taste, setup, wealth(?) , experience and location but you have to start somewhere and a recomendation is better than nothing!

Despite my experience I would whole heartedly 'recomend' an SVS, a BFD (PEQ) and Mark Grant Cables. More importantly though I would recommend reading the forums and get to know the ppl here and you then learn which opinions/recomendations to value and which not to.

14. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    The amount you will have learnt about subs, their frequencies, how they interact
    with a room etc etc. will be invaluable. And I'm sure you will be able to offer good
    advice to some in the future :thumbsup: .

If you are into sound, then setting up your gear will be enjoyable.......
    I think :rolleyes:

15. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    But is measurement a sound basis for hobby? :devil:

I wonder what percentage of our forum membership even has an SPL meter?

Most are probably happy to bung the sub down where it looks right according to SWMBO, switch it on and forget it. (The sub that is, not the "better half")

They have a point if that satisfies them. Only the real masochists and the disatisfied feel the need to do any more. But beware, tweaking your system can become such a pastime that you become hypercritical of every nuance. Rather than just enjoying the results of your investment in kit and software you dabble endlessly and worry yourself into an early grave.

The third sort just keep upgrading as they search for the elusive level of perfection which they feel will finally satisfy them. Or start building their own kit in the hope of bettering the commerical stuff. :cool:

It takes all sorts. :D

Nimby

16. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,450
    In my mind there is a point at which I will stop tweaking and I feel it is very close, thanks to all the help I have had so far. At the moment every tweak I make seems to improve things and gives me such pleasure. I do forsee a point where I can stop analysing and actually enjoy a movie ( perhaps I am kidding myself :suicide: ) :D

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I bought my SVS over two years ago and it didn't take me that long to set it up. Since then the only time I have ever touched it was on a couple of occasions when the young 'un decided to tweak the settings for himself.

18. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,450
    These forums are a mixed blessing.

Without them I wouldn't have bought such an sexy sub but with them I am privvy to information I never would have considered! ...and you know what they say about 'a little information...' :D

19. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I had one of two places to put my sub. Luckily, it sounded good a few inches to the left of my front right speaker. I have one setting for music & one for movies after much fiddling. Thankfully, I have not needed to fiddle anymore :thumbsup:

I just used CD's I knew the sound of to set up. Probably best not to use an SPL meter for me, otherwise I might see just how bad my room response is :eek:
    :)

20. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    dunno if you have bought your sub yet, but i can recommend the Quake, on two counts, firstly i own one, and if the room isnt too big its a good, thumpy, yet reasonably musical sub (thats in comparison to its brethern by REL)...i only upgraded to a Strata 5 because my main stereo speakers i bought overwhelmed it as they have a fair bit of power.....however i did hear it in the shop hooked up the Quads, and it worked well with them in the demo room......but it has limits, drive it too loud and you will find it crumbles a bit...
    after all its only an 8in driver with a 100watt amp....it has decent inputs tho as well.....if u can get it for under 200 notes then its worthwhile...i paid 350 and wasnt disappointed with it..i just bought speakers too powerful...lol