What Sub £300 AV Amp?

Maxamus

Looking to replace my budget NAD C315BEE Amp and have £300 to spend. It will be powering 2x KEF IQ5SE floorstanding speakers.

Any suggestions?
Oh, Must be Black

Robsk1

Yamaha 763 is here but £39 over your limit.

Maxamus

How would i connect my gear to the above 2 amps that have been recommended?

I have the following:

- PS3 (HDMI connection)
- HTPC (HDMI connection)
- Sky (SCART connection)
- Virgin (SCART connection)
- TV

The HTPC can send 1080p picture and 7.1 HD Sound over HDMI

1. Would i connect the PS3 and the HTPC to the Amp via HDMI and leave the Sky and Virgin connected to the TV via SCART and finally connect the TV via HDMI to the amp???

2. What would be the best option for my needs, the Sony or the Yamaha?

3. How would they compare to a NAD 325BEE for example?

Last edited:

segedunum

Standard Member
1. Would i connect the PS3 and the HTPC to the Amp via HDMI and leave the Sky and Virgin connected to the TV via SCART and finally connect the TV via HDMI to the amp???
Sounds reasonably logical, and that's sort of what I need. One HDMI input, a couple of component inputs (via a SCART to composite converter) and one HDMI output to the TV. However, I'm not using audio over HDMI so you need to make sure that your receiver supports it if you need it.

However, I don't know why you'd want to leave Sky and Virgin connected to the TV. Connect them all to the receiver and get all the benefits of switching and the benefits of output to the same set of speakers via the same box. It strikes me as pretty pointless to route those to the TV and then re-route the sound back from the TV to the receiver if that's what you meant.

2. What would be the best option for my needs, the Sony or the Yamaha?
How long is a piece of string? I'd grab yourself some manuals and reviews of the various receivers and pick the one that does what you need based on the requirements above without paying over the odds. I've found that it's possible to spend way over the odds for a receiver versus what you'll actually be using it for.

KatTV

Richer Sounds are selling the AX763 for £299 (VIP member price) - You simply sign up to their mailing list/register to get the VIP prices

KatTV

Jamie

Distinguished Member
However, I don't know why you'd want to leave Sky and Virgin connected to the TV. Connect them all to the receiver and get all the benefits of switching and the benefits of output to the same set of speakers via the same box. It strikes me as pretty pointless to route those to the TV and then re-route the sound back from the TV to the receiver if that's what you meant.

Personally I feel that connecting the SD boxs via Scart would be the best way. most probably the best video connection available for these on the amp would be S-Video anyway, whereas a direct connection would enable you to use the superior RGB Scart. Without a doubt I would have the audio from these devices going via the Amp though.

I also believe the 820 doesn't do upconversion anyway so its a moot point, not sure about the other option given.

baronsmurf

Standard Member
im under the impression the 820 doesnt upscale none HD signals to HDMI. so basically if u plug the sky box and any other scart device into the 820, they will not transmit through hdmi, u will need to use the same connection cable to ouput from the 820 to the tv

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom