1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What stylish satellites would you recommend (looks and sound)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jon smith, Feb 1, 2004.

1. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I'm after some good looking sats and have come up with the following shortlist. I must admit, that the look of the sats is as important to me as the sound quality (although all of them have had good reviews and recommendations). This is not down to WAF, but my own as i'm fed up of speakers taking over the room.

Will look at getting complete sub/sat set or just 3 for the front to begin with if they are more expensive. I have a Ruark Vita sub at the mo, so don't necessarily need a new sub.

Shortlist:

The Gallo Micros (3 across the front to start)
    Ruark Vita 100 (about £850 ex-dem)
    B&W VM1 (again, 3 across the front - although centre a bit big)
    Monitor Audio Radius (3 x 180 across the front)

A mixture of very different and more traditional, but all pretty good looking in their own way.

I still haven't decided what amp I will use to drive them yet. Could be anything from a lifestyle option like the Jamo DVR-50, to an older integrated amp like the Sony 50ES. That's another story though, for once i'd like to get my speaker choice right first time and build from there.

Any other recommendations from anyone, maybe the Lulet package or the omnisats or anything really. As long as they are small(ish) and look nice I can add them to the list.

2. itcosthowmuch

itcosthowmuch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Gallo's here Jon. although go for the A'Diva's for front and add micro's for surrounds/rears as and when. I wouldn't go for either of the Gallo subs though.

Hope that helps

M

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I haven't heard the Monitor Audio Radius speakers but they are the ones that seem to be most popular amongst forumites at the moment.

Hopefully they will be on demo at the Bristol show

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Infinity orues sats and possibly add a more capable sub like an MJ ref100.

5. happychappy

happychappy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Go for the radius option I have moved my B&W cdm series upstairs and as of yet have not regreted this choice.

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The Castle Compact are sweet looking speakers, well up to their usual standard of finish. Though I didn't get to listen to them as the demo 'suite' was already in use.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    They are reviewed in this month's What Hifi and given a sparkling five stars

8. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Thanks for the comments... is a big help...

Yeah, I saw the Castle compact review - but don't really like the look of them. I think the standard speakers only shrunk a bit style of sat a bit odd (although I do like the Ruarks). Don't like the look of the Oreus speakers either...

The Gallos, Ruark or Radius are current favourites (probably in that order). Am trying to sort out a deal on some Jamo Graphic speakers for rears though so I am mainly focusing on front 3 now (unless I go for the Ruarks - although i've seen the centre ex-dem, but not a pair of Vita 100 monitors).

I've never really chosen the right set of speakers (even after demo'ing) and have made compromises to save a few bob. I'm finally beginning to realise how important the speakers are to my set up though and would rather get things right this time at extra cost and get a setup i'm completely happy with. For once, my new choice of amp is secondary to my speaker choice - it seems a much better way of doing things (and I wish I had done it this way in the past - would have saved me a few bob long term).

9. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you look on castle's website you'll see a huge choice of finishes, and all you need to do to want them is go see them in the fleash, they are so well made. My vote would be castle.
    But if you still can't live with the look Radius are a good set and are pretty.

10. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Could live with the Castle Compact centre, but am not sold completely on the other speakers (even with all the finishes). They look great, but just not for me - I want some that's designed to be a little different.

Have just sorted out a deal on the Jamo Graphics rear speakers (which certainly meet my criteria of different), so definitely now just after front 3.

Looking at Gallos or Radius then... heard the Gallos a while back although not in very good listening conditions. I will get a dem of the Radius at my local Sevenoaks... think the prefer the look of the Gallos though.

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The reviewer at Digital Home Magazine review here also liked the look of the Nucleus Micros but wasn't quite so keen on the sound.

12. bodhi

bodhi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What about the KEF KHT2005.2? I am seriously considering picking up a set of these and have read good things about them. I am also seriously curious about the limited edition KHT3005.2 (comes in Chrome or Nickle finish), but can find hardly anywhere in the UK that carries them and they retail at £1200!!.

This link gives a brief overview:

http://www.insidehi-fi.co.uk/pn/pn-0802/0802-pn/ihf-0802-kef1.htm

Any opinions?

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Listen to the Kefs, Listen to Infity Orues and then decide what you think is a better buy? IMO Oreus are better value and better sound, Looks are different but still very nice.

14. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I'm not interested in the Kefs or the Oreus (I know you plug them a lot, but I don't like the look of them). I owned the Kefs when they first came out, sold them when I moved - they were good, but not what i'm after anymore.

Bodhi - the limited edition are of the MK1 Kefs, so take that into account.

Ian - thanks for link, had seen that review on my travels...

15. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The Compact centre (LCR) is sold separately at £180. If it's different you're after then really it's down to the Lulet or Omnisats you mentioned both of which are about as different in concept as you can get.

Why not 3 more Jamo Graphics or Jamo A510's?

16. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I'm picking up the Jamo Graphics tonight, so will give them a whirl and go from there. The A510s are the old ART speakers, is that right?

Thanks

17. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I've now ended up with 9 speakers in the space of 2 days (not quite sure how that happened).

I picked up the Jamo Graphics on Monday, but have only given them a quick whirl. Then ordered 2 gallo balls yesterday so I could experiment in a nice looking combo with the Jamos.

Then last night was browsing another forum and picked up a hybrid Def Tech Pro cinema 100 set (had 4x100 monitors, a C2 centre and the 200 sub). They are not different, but i've heard good things about them.

I will now spend next week experimenting between the Def Tech and the Gallos.

Have now also been tempted by an Arcam Alpha 10 DAVE system - i've decided to start high to avoid all the pointless upgrading/sidegrading i've spent the last 4 years doing. They are not super expensive 2nd hand, but you do get a lot for your money. (I like the look of the Arcam AVR300 but that will be £1300)

18. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Have spent the day playing around with the Def Tech speakers. They seem seriously good with music and movies. For the money I paid for the ProCinema 100 (especially with the upgraded centre and 12 inch sub) was a definite bargain.

The Gallos do seem very good as well, so will definitely have to weigh up the aesthetics/quality/value for money parts of the whole thing.

19. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I used to have the Def Tech Pro Cinema front speakers but with a REL sub. I thought the combination was excellent for music as well as films and assume that their comparative rarity was due to a lack of marketing effort.