1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What student laptop? Used Compaq Evo N610C any good?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Jamp, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Jamp

Jamp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I'm about to start my Masters at uni but had a paragliding accident the other week and dislocated my shoulder so will have trouble handwritting for some weeks. I'm thinking a laptop would be a wise purchase I can type as well as normal and could keep up with lecture notes this way.

Requirements are:
    - Very good battery life (at least 3hrs word processing)
    - Ability to run off mains without charging the battery (as when the batt is knackered I may be able to plug in for a one hour lecture but would not want to part charge the batt)
    - Light weight (will have to carry it 3 miles a day so well under 3kg please!)
    - Wireless networking
    - Good resale value in a few months time (DVD-R probably a bonus for this if I sell to a student)
    - Reasonable performance for CAD but not games
    - Quiet running so as not to disturb neighbours in lectures with fan noise

I have been offered a Compaq Evo N610c for £300 - P4 1.8GHz, 512MB, 20GB, 14", DVD ROM. Anyone have any experience with these? I've read they can be prone to overheating and thus are noisy and worse, unreliable. They got good reviews otherwise though. Any ideas?

Also, is there any decent tool to search exact requirements for new laptops. Every website I try lets you search by CPU or price range at best - no chance to filter by batt life and weight.

Cheers,

Ben :)

2. willsy2

willsy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I've got an Evo N1015v and it does suffer from overheating. It gets really hot especially when surfing and there are lots of animations etc.
    I would look for a laptop with a mobile processor as the desktop cpu's just run too hot IMO.

3. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Some guys I recently worked with had compaq lappy's and yes, you could say they had problems with heat ;)

3 Guys bought the same model, it was a "Evo n" something not sure to be exact. Anyway, it turned out that they did crash a fair bit but only when the bottom was not ventilated properly i.e. sat on a flat table. If they had anything they could cause the ventilation to not work properly they would overheat and crash/shutdown.

Now heres the bad news: Two of them had there motherboards replaced by compaq because the overheating got so bad that they damaged themselves! :mad: And no, it didn't solve the problem only fixed some damage from it. :suicide:

The third person was still being very cautious and carefull with his when i left :rotfl:

4. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have the nc10c as my work laptop and its not too bad. The fan kicks in every wednesday when our virus scan is enforced, but otherwise its pretty reasonable. When I was working in denmark the other year, I was using it a lot and the battery life was okay.

That said, I think you'll get better battery life if you can find a pentium M from somewhere. Maybe the dell outlet?

5. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343