What streamer for me

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by dUnKle, Feb 28, 2013.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,892
    Having moved out ps3 upstairs I need a family friendly easy to use and rather inexpensive media server for downstairs.

Something that can stream from love film and play .mkv files that are on my PC and is running universal medi server

Need a decent front end too. Something that easy for the other half to work out

Not concerned about wireless as will be on wired network. Will be connected to onkyo amp via hdmi ideally.

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,113
    Doesn't exist, Loveflim are no good for support on network media players.

At best your looking at a BD player of some kind, LG Blu-ray 2012 players should have Loveflim support and they feature a reasonable media player with a decent front end either through DLNA or through Plex (LG rename it as MediaLink).

However the BD player will almost certainly have the Cinavia DRM on it as found on the PS3 if you encountered it there, same goes for any other BD player.

LG do have standalone boxes based off their 2012 SmartTV platform as found in BD/TV but these seem a mixed bag at least from consumer reviews.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  3. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,892
    Sorry. By the love film thing. I meant stream the on demand stuff. Like on IPad and ps3 etc.

A media player with a love film app that would also connect to my network to play files held on my PC.

Does nothing have an lovefilm app that also acts as streamer. Would a pi with xbmc work. Would that be powerful enough for 1080p mkv streaming.

Ideally I want to rip my blu rays and store on PC and play back on media player but have the same player have the ability to use lovefilm and player.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,113
    The LG SP820 is the only thing I know of that meets that criteria & is not a BD player.

As far as I'm aware Loveflim only support game consoles & smart TV derived platforms.

You will find Netflix much more common on network media players if you use that, the WDTV Live has Netflix and iPlayer with a very good media player.

5. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,892
    Would the lg do 1080p mkv over wired network ok ?

6. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,113
    Yes it will, the LG media player is reasonably okay & it supports most common formats.