• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What Stereo? £200 budget , Clarity over power

noz4r2

Standard Member
Hello All

My brother is after a HiFi , and we have no clear winner and no idea whats good or whats bad, he has a price range of £200, he mainly wants clarity, dab radio and to be able to fit in a couple of CD's if possible but not of the utmost importance, hes also thinking of getting a Ipod (not in the budget yet) to go with it so any suggestions? Also is the Ipod good or are there other less known brands that are compedative?

Sorry for the lack of details but we dont really know whats good or how to tell

any comment will be appriciated

Thankyou for your time

Noz

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Trusts me, I know what it is like to be on a budget, but the only way to get everything you want at that price is to buy a low cost mini/micro system.

If he could push his budget to £300, he could get a decent amp (no radio) and a pair of good speakers.

Mini/Micro systems are usually low power, though reasonably good quality, all-in-one system that include a CD player, radio, amp, and sometimes speakers. The alternative to that, is to buy a boom-box.

On the webpage linked to below, you will see a few sample micro-systems and boom-boxes in the suggested price range -

HiFi Systems at Superfi Online - http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/category.cfm/category/101

If you decide to add an iPod, a simple cheap adapter cable will get the job done. In not, iPod docks are cheap.

In that budget range, that is about the best he can do.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom