What squonk box?

Discussion in 'E-Cigarettes' started by Wingsurfer, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    I'm really liking the idea of these, a dripper without the need to constantly drip onto the coil.

I want to buy one at some point but need it to be regulated so I don't blow myself up by doing something stupid. I also want at least the ability to alter wattage.

Can you folks recommend anything?

2. walks

walks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I'm looking into squonking myself, best thing I've found so far is the Steam Crave squonker.

Here on its own: Steam Crave Squonker Mod
    Or in kit form with RDA and battery: Steam Crave Regulated Squonker full kit - Puff Dad E Vaping Supplies

It might work out a little cheaper to buy the bits separately, the mod is £50 at sr vapes, you can get 2 samsung 25r batteries from pure mist for £10 delivered and then you just need to add your own bottom fed dripper.

3. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    Kanger drip box?

Edit
    Actually think that's locked at 60w

4. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    It's the kanger dripbox that's made me interested. The guy in our local shop was demoing it, would've bought it there & then if it had variable controls.

5. walks

walks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I think the wattage will vary based on the voltage left in the battery and the build you have on top, much the same way a mech works, but with the added protection of a regulated. I think.

6. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    Yes, this is exactly what I was told. Semi regulated for protection but without variable power output

7. walks

walks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    The wattage is variable, but not by the end user. For less than £30 you can't really go wrong I think.

8. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    Don't need batteries, I have 3 18650's for my k-box. I notice that it has a max power output of 70watts. I'm wondering if this will be high enough? Currently using 40watts with a 0.5 ohm coil but I may decide to start experimenting with low resistance coil builds at some point in the future.

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant. I was referring to the ability to alter wattage via controls on the box

9. walks

walks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Just reading up on it, it says it's a 60 watt mod.
    I guess it depends on how low you want to go. I have drippers here that I'll build down to about 0.3 and vape at around 60 watts. I'm vaping my 0.2 ohm coil in my Cleito at 65 watts, but I also use my 0.25 ohm coil in my crown tank at between 70 and 80 watts.

So 60 watts might not be quite enough if you're going to go down that low, I guess it depends how warm you like your vape, personally I don't like mine too warm, so for me 60 watts at 0.3 will be fine. If you're going to start playing with low resistance clapton builds though you might find 60 watts isn't enough.

10. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    I like a bit of heat but not too much 40watts on the 0.5 I really like. Any more than that I'm not too keen on, if that give you an indication?

11. walks

walks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Hmm, depending then on how low you intend to build, 60w might not be enough. I know of some 100w boxes, but they are not cheap and currently out of stock. Not sure how often they come in stock either. Have a look at these, I think they are beautiful.

Squonk³

12. walks

walks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
  13. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    I've found out about squonk atomisers, such as this Skyfall Squonk RDTA by Focusecig
    Thinking this might be better & I could use with my kbox, at least until I got hold of a new mod. Any potential drawbacks?

14. walks

walks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I've never come across that one before. There are quite a few drippers that can be converted into a squonk rda by simply changing the 510 pin. My velocity clone comes with a BF 510 pin so I could convert that if I wanted to. Looks ok though from what I can tell.

Your best bet is to have a look around and search for some BF drippers, when you find a few you like the look of, check out some reviews of them so you can at least see them in action and get some thoughts from people that have used them.

15. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    Thanks for the advice, from looking at some various options I think I'm kinda erring toward a squonk box as opposed to squonk/ auto drip rdta's. Reasoning being the large tank in the boxes & them being simpler to fill up. I.e. Not having to take the rdta apart.
    Saying that, there's a good chance my thoughts on this may change. What do things need to be so complicated?! Lol

16. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    Well earlier today I was in town & I got drawn towards the e-cig shop (this is a regular occurance) anyways long story short, I walked away with this:
    ImageUploadedByAVForums1462037036.303906.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAVForums1462037051.841841.jpg

The airflow is insane compared to to my subtank. When I first used it the airline was wide open, I was inhaling & whilst the taste was there it seemed ice cold. I was wondering if it was firing properly. I then exhaled & was quite taken aback with just how much vapour was coming out of my mouth. It seems like after using my subtank for about 6 months on 30-40 watts my mind has subconsciously associated heat with the amount of produced vapour.

I didn't really understand what people meant when I've heard talk of 'smoother flavour', I do now! Don't get me wrong, I still think the subtank produces great flavour but this is something else :)

Whilst I still would have liked variable power output I thought "for 44 squidies sod it". I think this is going to be a very nice introduction to the dripping world

17. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    Ok, I'm going to have to drop to 3mg from (mainly) 6. I had some 3mg in my pocket when I bought the box that's what I filled it with for the first time. Filled it with some 6mg later in the evening, all was fine at first but after a while I found I started coughing like hell whenever I was taking a puff. Tried 3mg again this morning & all is fine again. I suppose yesterday I didn't realise the 6 was too strong for me as I didn't have any detrimental effects straight away. When I next fill the bottle I'm going to try a 50/50 mix between 6&3, just to use up my remaining 6mg & if that's still too strong I'll be chain vaping my subtank for a while - I've got about 100-150ml of the stuff left lol

18. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    Do you recommend this against coming from a sub setup? I am currently using a coolfire IV and Atlantis 2 but just fancy a change. I tried the coolfire IV TC and Isub V but that leaked like crazy and is going back so looking for something different...

19. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    I really like it. I've got the airflow on this about 60% closed & It kinda makes it seem like the airflow on my subtank is clogged, & that's with the subtank wide open. Great flavour but it doesn't half drink the juice! More prone to leaking too but that's to be expected from a drip setup

20. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457