What speed media for a standalone recorder?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TheGame7, Jul 19, 2005.

1. TheGame7

TheGame7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I have my DVD Recorder arriving tomorrow - the Samsung DVR-122.

I have ran out of blank disks (have a writer on my PC) so am planning to stock up on some more but wonder if there is anything to consider when using media with standalone DVD Recorders?

Whats the max speed they write at? 1x since its realtime so as lower speed a disc as I can get will do?

I am planning to go for the Ridisc G04 if this is the case since its the Ritek dye for a fraction of the brand name price. Don't need to G05 as my PC writer is only 4x, also Ritek has had known quality control problems with the new disc, though Ridisc now has the Xtreme on the market which they say is a G05 which they control quality of themselves.

Thanks,

TheGame7

P.S. With DVD-Ram, is it possible to remove the disc from all cartridge discs, or only some? I ask as the site I plan to purchase from only has spindels of DVD-Ram discs and I only want one but they only sell cartridge type ones on their own.

2. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The normal speed is of course 1x and you can get 2 hours on a DVR at normal quality. Lots of recorders have an HQ mode which records 1 hour of very high quality data and the disc is used at 2x normal speed. 2x the quality, half the time. In longer play modes, LP usually means anything from 3 to 4 hours but the disc spins at 2/3 and 1/2 speed respectively. Don't even bother with 6 or 8 hour modes if you want extra length recordings, use VHS instead. Philips have a 2.5 hr mode which is very useful for that extra little bit of time on a disc, but after that, quality really goes downhill very quickly indeed. To recap, any disc which records at 2x or above will be fine unless you have a machine with a hard drive built in, dubbing from HD to DVD can be done at very fast speeds but you will need the faster blanks, not cheap, up to 8x or 16x I think.