1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What speed colour wheel for no RBE?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by spyder, Aug 24, 2005.

1. spyder

spyder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if there is a projector available now that has a colour wheel speed that effectivley eliminates the RBE?

I prefer the more cinematic image and deep contrast that DLP technology provides and VB on LCD machines ruins that cinema experience for me.

2. n0s

n0s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even the latest 8 segement 6x colorwheels still suffer from the RBE effect, it just depends how sensitive you are to it. That said most people do see significant improvments the faster the wheel spins, however on single chip DLP RE will always be an issue.

3. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    If they implement the new "Brilliant Color" colour wheel with 12 segments (2 lots of six refreshed twice a rotation) with effectively an 8 speed colour wheel. Maybe that will elimate the RBE for >99% of all viewers.

Question is are the DMD mirrors fast enough to keep up with that? Probably not.

It is an interesting question though because there must be a colour refresh speed that totally eliminates the RBE for all but most sensitive..

I Love DLP but with the continual improvements in LCD, the DLP camp need to raise their game to finally make the RBE a non-issue on single chip DLP.

4. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    In an ideal world TI would be able to develop a DMD capable of 10x refresh rates, this would almost certain resolve the RBE issue. I do believe however that they are experience great difficulty in modulating the mirrors any faster than at present. The latest DMDs have a slower capability than previous generations, reducing the overall production costs. The only way TI will produce faster DMDs is if they want to maintain the artificially high 3-chip prices, otherwise they will take the 3-chip route for all display devices.

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    at X6 they are still very visible, even doubling to X12 is unlikely to be enough.