1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What speed BB connection do you have ?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by harrisuk, Dec 13, 2004.

1. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I am upgrading my BB connection. I am with NTL and the fastest they have is 1.5 meg. What are the rest of you using. I am sick of not being able to host Halo 2 games on live :(

2. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I have 256 up and 1 meg down, works fine. Couple of times I came into a running game and ended up hosting as per Halo 2. Never any probs.Oh BT by the way.

3. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I am going for the full 1.5meg. SHould hopefully get to host a few games. Will only see the real benefit when I hard wire to the xbox. Wireless is a bit sh** for online gaming :(

4. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I have a Linksys Wireless Router and a Linksys Ethernet bridge, other that the odd reset now and again all is fine, no real problems at all!
    A few others who play online regularly have wireless setups mostly trouble free, what set up do you have?

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yes I am using decent Linksys 54g wireless kit. It works OK but I am going up a floor through steel and all sorts so the connection isnt great to be honest.

At the end of the day you will never get as good an experience with wireless. The odd packet always gets lost and thats not good when you are gaming.

When i am playing people in the UK its fine no problem. Start to get difficulties when playing people in the US on Halo 2. I dont reckon Wireless is ideal if you are hosting games to be honest.

Hopefully the improved Connection will make things a bit better !

I am going to look at getting biggger aerials for the linksys wireless bridge and router. Know anywhere that sells them ?

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=643

6. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Do remember that your dload speed wont improve xbox live as its the upload that is most important for hosting. Saying that though i have just normal 512k dload 256k upload BB from Zen and i can host halo 2 fine 16 player no problem (of course halo 2 does differ from other live games in that it selects the user with the best connection speed as host) On other games i can hold...... Rainbow 6 - 10 players. Ghost recon 2 - 10 players, Flatout - 8 players.

7. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    I'm on the NTL 1.5mb connection and it does the job for me - I can host up to 8-10ish (I've not tried with more people), as it has a 256kb upstream.

I believe there's a speed upgrade on the way in January, where the 1.5mb goes to 3mb, the 750k goes to 2mb and the 300k goes to 1mb with a £25 admin charge. Not sure what the upgrade does for the upstream bandwidth though.

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well I am on 750 k at the moment and it only has 125k up. Thats the problem really. Going to 1.5 will double that so its worth doing I reckon. Even better if it goes up further in January.

I am trying to get hold of the Linksys High Gain aerial upgrade for my wireless router as well to improve the performance of the wireless connection. Its hard getting them over here at a reasonable price at the moment as they have only just been released. Going to Vegas over Christmas, probably pick one up then.

9. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    The uploads on NTL wont increase with the all tier uplifts that are going ahead for next year (from January onwards) depending on the planned UBR resegmentations. The downloads will double of course.

10. LinkinRuss

LinkinRuss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    using aol BB hahahaha.... 1mb download and 256 upload. never had any problems

11. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Im on NTL with 1500 down / 256 up .. I also use TCPIQ to keep an eye on the stats

http://www.nigelcooke.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7

Also NTL is upgrading users in the new year for a small admin fee .. so I think I'll be upgraded to 3mb - as already discussed tho its the uplink that plays the part in hosting and as far as Im aware this aint changing.

I guess they are worried we are becoming our own ISPs ..

12. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I am going from 750 to 1.5 now so my upload will double. The extra download for a small fee in Jan is a bonus.

13. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    On the 1.5 meg connection with ntl - i hard-wire the router into the xbox as it sits right on top of it! Only game I get the lag with really is pro evo which as a fellow av pro evo league member is not a good thing!!

14. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Got it upgraded to 1.5m today. Loads of hastle getting it to work. The net is much faster now, hopefully will be for games as well. Playing my first pro evo league match tonight so we shall see.

Guy who fitted it confirmed you will be able to upgrade the 1.5 meg lines to 3.0 meg in the new year. He said it will be the fasted available in the UK pretty much once the upgrade goes through.

But he mentioned in france and Germany they already have up to 12 m connections :eek:

15. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Telewest already have 3 meg and many ADSL providers already will do up to 4meg if you are willing to pay for it......

You won't notice any difference in the speed of your games, unless you are hosting and you have increased your upload rate as mentioned above. Only downloading or browsing should see a significant difference.

16. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    My upload has doubled. The 4 meg lines are only available in Central London and a few other areas but extremely limited. And the performance is meant to be awful, with the connections unable to reach the 4 meg limit most of the time.

I am expeecting an improvement on games and hopefully will be able to host on Halo 2 now. We will see.

17. sekrof

sekrof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might be worth your while seeing whether you can get a better contension ratio, rather than simply speed. For example BB on BT (residencial) is 20:1 contension, but they have a Business option of 5:1. What this does for you is improve reliability, and lessens the need to retransmit packets & overheads. All in all, it's not simply a question of speed people (although admittedly it always helps).

BTW, if you think 12Mbit is impressive, just wait for the next phase of wireless - ADSL2+ ... 24Mbit (gulp!)

18. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yea I had this signal business with NTL today. Bascially it wouldnt work right as the signal comming from the box on the street wasnt strong enough. The engineer told me there is a dial in the box for each house connected used to regulate how much signal is sent to each property. The further you are away from the box the more signal they need to send you.

Basically I was getting .32 signal, it was working but ideally it should be .25 or lower. He turned it right up anyway so it is well below .25 now.

Dosnt make anysense to me but makes a big difference to your connection apprently.

19. sekrof

sekrof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you're talking about 'noise attenuation' (sp?) on the line. The higher the speed of your ADSL line, the LESS noise you need. For example, I'm out in the sticks, and for 4 years have had no ADSL, only ISDN (boo hoo), but at last BT have extended there ADSL service (although we are meant to only be able to recieve 512/256). However, I've managed to get an upgrade to 1Mbit because the line noise was low 57 Db (the cut off for 1Mbit is 60Bd). But that's it for me, until BT upgrade the exchange to XDSL.

Personally I think pile of gold bars appearing under my cat is a more likely scenario (!)

BTW, I'm running Xbox wireless & bridged. I use a NetGear DG834GT ADSL wireless/LAN/Router/Firewall plugged into the ADSL line, then bridge to the Xbox over a 56Mbit NetGear WGE101. Works lovely. Still some lag when playing US kiddies, but that's to be expected really.

Hope the Xbox2 has a 1Gbit LAN connection - should do.

20. sekrof

sekrof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW. forgot to mention ... if you do use a bridged wireless network for your Xbox, make sure you don't use any form of encryption, i.e. WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy), WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key), WPA-802.1x. This really slow down the link. Simply lock down your wireless network at the access point(s) using known MAC addresses. There really isn't anything of interest being transmitted from an Xbox, so why bother to be over cautious and slow your connection ?

21. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Mmm I am using Wep on my wireless bridge / router that might be what the problem is :( Dont fancy having unsecure wireless network. I can browse the net using my laptop at the end of the road. I dont see how that can slow it down really, its only asking for an auth key.

22. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Telewest now have a 4mb line now - it was a free upgrade for 3mb users (like myself) :)

23. sekrof

sekrof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WEP - if used, encrypts data before transmission, and has to decrypt it the other end. This obviously provides greater security and privacy. So using WEP (60 or 128 bit key) will add an overhead before & after transmission. But I stand by my previous statement that there really isn't much interest in Xbox packets ... it would be easier to steal your Xbox :D .

MAC address binding offers an alternative. Obviously, if you also use a portable PC or another wireless devise on the same wireless access point, this could be more of a problem, security/privacy wise.

24. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have a pc, laptop and xbox hooked up to the network wireless. As I said due to the range of these things I wouldnt be comfortable with it unless WEP was in place.

At the end of the day wireless is nice but you get a much better experience on Live with a hard wired connection. The wireless conection has to go up a floor through steel and all sorts to the gamming room I had built in the loft.

Always going to loose packets in this senario which is fine if you are browsing the web on a laptop but not great for gamming. The upgrade has made a huge difference to Halo 2, game is running more smootly and now finding games immediately without any wait. Still not had the option of hosting yet :( I use wireless when playing on my own on Live but when my mates come over to play I am using a 25m ethernet cable :(

I am trying to get hold of the new linkysys aerial upgrades for the wireless router and bridge. These apparently improve performance of the wireless connection by up to 25%. THey are hard to get over here at a reasonable price as they have only just been released in the states. I will hopefully be able to pick them up in a couple of weeks as I am going there for the new year.

25. sekrof

sekrof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was reading on Bungie.net all about how halo2 networking/hosting works between players - well worth a read! There's also a great article available on howstuffworks written by the chap that wrote the networking engine for Halo2: http://stuffo.howstuffworks.com/halo-network.htm

BTW, I think you're right about a 25m cat5 cable - gota be the only way. Regardless of how quick I 'think' my wireless network is, I still get had, time & again with 'lag' in the game. Where did you order your cable from? keene ?

26. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I was having the chaps over for a gamming weekend so I needed it quick. Picked it up from Maplins for around £20 although they can be had for alot less from www.microdirect.co.uk, like £12 - £15 last time I looked.

Definately get a much better gamming experience with a hardwired connection.

27. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    Doesn't anyone do a 512k upload as surely that's what us gamers need! What's the point of a 3mb or 4mb download unless you're into piracy in a big way. I'll have the extra download speed for free but what I would have preferred my 750k line to have had it's upload doubled from 128k to 256k as opposed to the increase in Download speed. They should do a Gamers line (512k up & down for £30 ish per month). Is it because of the way the wires are laid (as in only a fraction of the Bandwidth for upload that is allocated to download) that causes the huge discrepancy. I know in the early days people were obsessed by download speeds but it makes much more sense longterm to have an equal up & down speed as this seriously reduces peer to peer (including gaming) lag.

28. sekrof

sekrof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe this is a limit (upspeed) with the ADSL standard, because it uses 2 different "methods" to communicate up & down the line. So download is effectively a different technology to upload (strange but true according to my BT engineering friend). SO I doubt we'll see an ADSL upload improvement until the exchanges are moved to some of the newer network standards, i.e. ADSL2+ etc. I noticed BT do offer some alternatives already though, which give 512/1000 uploads speeds - but they are only rolled out in a very few city centre exchanges. :-(

29. sekrof

sekrof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks harrisuk, I'll now be meauring all evening driving the woman mad :)

30. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21

Well you can get SDSL which has the same dload speed as upload eg a 1Meg would be 1 meg up and down.
    But its only available on a few exchanges and is very very pricey £200+ a month etc