What spec projector for a 4.5 metre x 2.5 metre screen?

BigScreener

Novice Member
Hi everyone!

We want a projector that will fill as much as possible of our available 4.5m x 2.5m space.
That's about 15ft x 8ft.

We have recently moved into an old building which has an auditorium/hall attached. The room is about 100sqm/1100sqft with a small stage at one end and ceiling height of about 4.5 meteres.
We want to project onto the wall above the stage.

We would like to use the wall itself as a screen initially (I know, I know) to see how it looks.
The projector will need to be ceiling mounted.

Our question is what spec projector do we need to be looking for to get this size image on the wall?

We'd be so grateful for any help or suggestions that you can offer.
Many thanks!

Last edited:

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone!

We want a projector that will fill as much as possible of our available 4.5m x 2.5m space.
That's about 15ft x 8ft.

We have recently moved into an old building which has an auditorium/hall attached. The room is about 100sqm/1100sqft with a small stage at one end and ceiling height of about 4.5 meteres.
We want to project onto the wall above the stage.

We would like to use the wall itself as a screen initially (I know, I know) to see how it looks.
The projector will need to be ceiling mounted.

Our question is what spec projector do we need to be looking for to get this size image on the wall?

We'd be so grateful for any help or suggestions that you can offer.
Many thanks!

Okay, a more detailed response. :D

Budget is very important in all cases, but particularly here, I suspect. It looks like you'll need a big screen, which means your projector will need to be very bright. Typical home cinema projectors aren't massively bright - certainly not in terms of 2.5m tall screens - unless they're expensive.

In short, you might either have to spend a lot of money on the projector, or compromise on quality. It might be you can get a lower end model that will light up that screen - others will know better than I - but be prepared for that. You'll certainly need excellent light control in the room.

I'm a bit confused by your figures. At first you seem to say you want a screen that fills as much of a 4.5m x 2.5m space as possible, but then you say ceiling height is 4.5m.

Do I have this right? Is the room (floor to ceiling) 4.5m tall, but the projector wall (floor of stage to ceiling) 2.5m tall - in other words the stage is 2m tall?

A 180" 16:9 screen will be about 4m x 2.25m tall. You'll need to allow a bit of extra space for the black borders on the screen.

Your alternative aspect ratios would be a 2.40:1 screen, but that wouldn't fit unless it were shorter (probably maximum height 2m), on a 2.00:1 screen, with would be the same height (2.25m) but a little wider (4.5m).

Pictures of the room would be interesting.

Best wishes - you'll get plenty of advice and ideas here.

Steve W

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
Sim2 Super Lumis or a Digital Projection Titan, for starters, if the budget is there.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom