1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what spec pc for panny 100e?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by woody183, May 28, 2002.

1. woody183

woody183

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SOD it!!!!!!! I've decided to go down the road of buying a pc dedicated for my ae100e projector.
    Does anyone have any advice on the following....
    what proccessor?
    What graphic cards are adequate?
    What sound card would give me an output to plug into my onkyo av amp to give me 5.1 surround sound?
    what tv capture card has s-video in so i can use sky digital?

Is there anything else i would need? a list of a set up and at what cost would be great!!!

cheers woods..

2. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi Woody. Your best bet is probably to do a search and/or ask this question in the HCPC forum (on this site). Here's some quick and general info...

CPU
    500mhz minimum. More is better (for future-proofing / audio & video ripping etc).
    A minimum of 256 meg memory should be fine.

Graphics
    Proper ATI (not 3rd party) Radeons (VE / 7200 / 7500)
    Try Ebuyer .

Sound
    Depends on dosh. Cheap = Hercules Fortissimo II . More expensive but much better = M-Audio 24/96 or Delta 410 .

TV card
    Something like a WinTV works fine, though I'm sure there are others that would also do the job.

Also, make sure you get a DVD-Rom drive that can be hacked to region free. A lot of people use the Pioneer 106s, although that can be hard to find these days. A hard drive would be cool too. Maxtor's are meant to be fairly quiet. I use an IBM Deskstar & it's ok.

On top of that lot, you'll need the right software...

Window$ whatever (I like & use XP Pro).
    Powerstrip (custom res & timings).
    DScaler (Software Deinterlacer & scaler for TV signal)
    PowerDVD / WinDVD / TheatreTek/ ATI player (one of them - I like PowerDVD, but that's just me).
    Ghost (for backing everything up!).

If you intend to control this beast using an IR unit like a Pronto, then you'll need Girder (cool but slightly scary software) and an IR receiver like the IRman .

There's tons of help available on this forum, so remember to ask specific questions when you need to....always better to learn from the mistakes that the rest of us have already made! :D

Cheers,

Mark.

3. reefer

reefer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shockabuku,

Whats up with the 3rd party ones? I was looking on ebuyer at the ati cards & noticed the other name prior to the radeon bit & wondered. Are they b grade ones or summit?

Cheers

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dependant on your budget, you could poss get away with a PII 400 with 128 mb. I had this set up with a Voodoo5500 and sb5.1.

I now have a very quiet PIII500 with a rad 7200, 256mb, audigy etc... which is a bit more but still not expensive and I'm more than chuffed with the results.

ON the TV card front a Nova T digital one would perhaps be recommended to get the best picture from the free to air digital broadcasts.

5. haf

haf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slightly off track from previous posts - but speaking as someone interested in going down the htpc route ( looking to buy a panny pj in next few months ) but without much htpc knowledge, are there any companies that provide already built pc's mainly for home cinema.

I presume the main advantage of building one is the cost savings.

I am currently running a PII 400 with 128mb. Can I use this as Roger says ( what else do I require ) or is it more cost effective to upgrade now.

Many thanks
    Henry

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A company mentioned on this forum does specifically sell HCPC's but you won't see much change from £1500+. Obviously many projector owners shell out a good few grand, 3k+, on a pj and as such another grand or so is usually within budget.

For the AE100 bargain basement gang, the prospect of shelling out an equivalent amount on a HCPC doesn't go down too well. If you haven't got a PC though - although who on these boards doesn't - and would benefit from having one, I suppose it would make an obvious choice to consider getting one of these.

As a PC owner you may as well look to use it for your HCPC - at least give it a try. My PII is a similar spec to the one you have and I found it, as a tester machine, to be perfectly adequate. IMHO it ain't worth shelling out a grand if the odd £40 on a GCard etc may get your current machine up and running. You can always upgrade/replace in the future as and when funds allow.

The only caveat to this is that you need lots of patience (and luck) otherwise you 'll soon be pulling your hair out. I spent many an evening up until 3 am getting the thing to work properly. Sound card issues, Dscaler, Powerstrip, software players, Zoom player if you decide to go down that route - although I still can't get the bugger to work even though I have a tub full of filters!!

The only prob I found with my PII 400 was that one or two of the software packages suffered display posturisation?sp and I believe that may have possibly been due to both the cpu being overworked and the graphics card not fully suitable.

On my PIII 500 with the Rad 7200 I get no probs whatsoever. Also, my PII 400 was a loud bugger - much louder than the pj. My PIII I can't even hear - well worth getting a quiet PC!

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From memory I believe there is an issue with driver support for 3rd party products - someone clarify?

Have a search on here or the avsforum.com for radeon and you'll find a thread on it.

8. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Yep, I echo Roger's reply. Here's a thread on AVS that discusses the issues.

9. reefer

reefer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers lads,

nearly made a costly mistake there!
    ati made it is then

thanks again

10. reefer

reefer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Further to finding the relative bits a pieces to this HCPC building game, I came to the conclusion (also kind of in response to woody183`s question of sound card) that you can actually buy your dvd rom player with a audio SPDIF output connector, hence negating the need alltogether for very expensive audiophille sound cards. Just connect your dvd rom drive`s SPDIF digital audio output to your amp and hey presto! Use a top quality screed cable, maplin do the correct 110ohm van damn digital sheilded patch cable for this purpose.

This means that you are effectively using your dvd rom drive as a high end hifi `cd transport` and using the DAC`s in your amp directly without the signal going through heaps of circuits etc, keeping the quality perfect.

Since I use a dolby digital hi end processor with 5 (yes 5! one for each channel fan cooled) DACS I can still get the best possible sound quality along with now the best picture of a HCPC, saving money too!

Just thought I`d pass that on...

Cheers,
    Neil

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Makes sense although I can't believe that I've not heard, or thought of this, before.

I'd like to know a bit more - any downers to this, reasons for not going via this route? I would imagine that the majority use and external decoder for sound so this makes perfect sense. Why then do ppl go on about high end audiophile sound cards??

Anyone want an SB Audigy!:)

12. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi reefer. Sorry to rain on the parade, but I'm afraid the S/PDIF on DVD-Rom drives will not output DD/DTS. It'll only provide linear PCM from audio CDs. This is because the sound on a DVD is embedded in a file on the disc itself, and thus requires decoding by software before being sent on as a bitstream. The DVD drive itself has no idea about the bitstream, it only sees it as just another file to read.

Shame really, coz it'd make life a lot easier if it were possible!

13. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Non PS Arcam DV88 and was thinking of getting a AE100 would i get significantly better resulsts through a HCPC?

14. reefer

reefer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arse! as they say lol

They`re not into making our lives easy are they:(
    Oh well...thanks for setting me right anyway, could of faffed about for hours!

15. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi oreoboy13. The quick answer is...YES!

However, there are other things to consider...most importantly the hassle factor. If you like building & tweaking PCs & you're happy to work at making the interface as friendly as traditional components, then go the HCPC route. If you want absolute performance (at a budget price), then HCPC is for you. If you're not willing to sacrifice convenience, then stick with what you have (& possibly go for an offboard de-interlacer/scaler).

Cheers,

Mark.

16. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Heh, sorry reefer. Life's boring if it's easy though, eh? ;)

17. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

Is it completely impossible to turn the scaler of on the Panny?

Would the de-interlacer be better than the progressive scan module available for the Arcam, or is this an nonsensical question?

18. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Unless you feed the Panny it's native resolution, it'll use it's internal scaler. Difficult to know whether the de-interlacer on the Arcam will be better than the Panny...you'd have to do a side-by-side comparison....though I wouldn't be surprised if the Arcam one was a bit better.

One thing's for sure, a nicely configured HCPC will beat them both on scaling and de-interlacing.