1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what spec for a laptop?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by 90210, May 25, 2005.

1. 90210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am hoping to go and live abroad in the next couple of years and before i go want to get a laptop so i can do stuff but what should be the mimimum spec? i know things may change in 2 years and generally the spec may increase but as of now just to give me an idea please? I am thinking laptop as i may move around initially and i know that i have the option of using my mobile to connect to the internet if needed. This is what i would like to be able to do to give an idea of spec needed.

Burn dvds- either just to copy or home stuff
    connect to internet

a lot of the stuff such as excel etc in a std package i wouldnt have a use for but i would want powerpoint and word.

To play back movies possibly

Mainly i think i may use it to download my camcorder , edit and then burn to dvd.

so i know i will need firewire connection, soundcard, 120 gb hd ? after this i get a bit stuck! any suggestions as to a spec?

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Decide on what system you want to use (apple or windows) decide what editing package you want to use & then let that dictate your decision.

Present day best... at least 512MB, at very least 64MB graphics although with both the bigger the better.

I would budget for an external hard drive for your video data (firewire, 7200rpm) as the inbuilt drive will probably be too slow for video (laptops usually 4500-5600rpm) but will be perfectly adequate for your system files. For this reason I wouldn't get too hung up on the hard drive size of the machine. 40Gb would be loads & loads for your system.

3. kevink

kevink
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just for your information. I have an Acer 1672 LMi with 512mb DDR, 60GB HDD and ATI Mobility 64MB Graphics card. I'm not even sure it has a separate sound card. I paid about £750 for it and i think it's dropped about £150 in a couple of months. If you get one make sure it's the WLMi (It has the wider screen size.

If I was going for a Laptop now I'd make sure I got a Gig of Ram though.

I also bought a Maxtor one Touch II 250GB external drive to go with it. I run Studio 9 very succesfully with the video files running off the external drive. I've bought Liquid Edition to go with it, no results yet.

The only real issue with the Laptop is the display size. It's not good enough.

BTW Roy, I went mad and bought an FX1. It's due tomorrow!!!!