1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What speakers ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by pandrew, Jan 15, 2003.

1. pandrew

pandrew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New to this game so need some advice..

Thinking of buying a Yamaha RX-V630RDS and Pioneer DV-350.
    What 5.1 speakers go best with the Yamaha. Have heard the Mission FS1, not convinced. Floor standing speakers are out of the question, do not have the room.

Buget £400 - £500.

2. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Why are you not convinced? Have you demoed any of the competition?

3. vee_cee

vee_cee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pandrew

A colleague has a Elac cinema 1 sub/sat setup with a yammy 620 amp and pany dvd, the speakers sound good and are well built for £350 he paid for them.

Elac do a cinema 2 which uses the same sat but a bigger sub.

ELAC site

And hifistore sell both the cinema 1 and 2

Maybe worth a dem

Cheers

VC

4. pandrew

pandrew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies,

Vee-Cee,
    I had previous heared about the Elac's. I've booked a demo of the Elac Cinema 2's next week

Alextgreen,
    I must be honest I haven't demo'd any other speakers yet, may be the FS1's will turn out to be the best for the money and my set up. I found the bass very weak and I didn't like the fact that the sat's were all plugged into the back of the sub.

If anyone has any more speakers they recommend it would be great to hear from you.

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    i had a demo with those speakers(fs1) compaired to real speakers their poor i'm shure you will get better for the money sorry but i can't be any more help than that i use floor standers

6. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pandrew

I had a set of the Elac Cinema Sat 1's - without the Elac Sub, albeit for a short period, and was very impressed with them.

Gucci design, wall brackets included, quite powerful for the size nice and revealing. They obviously don't produce a great deal of bass but with a reasonable sub that's taken care of. They are great for movies, especially hooked up to a yammy IMHO, and can hold a tune OK. For the price and size restrictions you could do a lot worse. My Local dealer will sell them individually @ £50 ea, handy if you want/go to 6/7.1.

Hope it helps

regards

7ThGuest :)

7. Hyb

Hyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got some Mission M72i's without a sub, to go along with a Marantz SR4200 and a Pioneer 350.

The setup sounds fantastic, and I get plenty of base from the 2 fronts to tide me over untill I can afford a REL sub.

Here's the link for the speakers. Great service, they arrived 2 days after I ordered!
    http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=0_9tTj2ITHLa&vp=6&bg=216&bp=72s&bi=0

Maybe you can get better for your budget though?

8. pandrew

pandrew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone heard the Mordaunt Short Premier Speakers ?

9. KenH

KenH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've read your post and all the various replies.

Could you give me some idea of the dimensions of your room? It would be a help to me as I'm thinking of buying a dvd and speaker system.

Also what speakers did you buy in the end?

Thanks

Ken

10. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    You are asking too broad a question to be frank. I could tel you that Monitor Audio's Bronze range or aegis Evo would be great but room dimensions and speaker position have a huge influence. Is your budget for speakers or everything

11. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own the mordaunt short premiere and think they are great little speakers. Very exciting to listen to. True you could upgrade the subwoofer for better results. Other thing is that the sats frequency range only goes down to 120htz so that means the sub is taking care of more of the mid bass stuff. Carefull placement and tweaking can eleviate this somewhat.

that aside they are very small, solid speakers which do a decent job with music (albeit not to same standard as full size speakers) but work better with movies!

12. pandrew

pandrew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KenH,

The room size is 15 by 13 feet. I bought the Elac 2's in the end mainly because the Premiers's sats frequency range only goes down to 120hz. I also found the Premiers sub more boomier but that may have been the way the demo had been set up.