What speakers ?

Vepman

Hi everyone, my first post. I was wondering if anyone could help. Im looking for speakers ...I have a tightish budget..say £200. I have a Nad 3020 amp, Denon CD and Audiotechnica turntable with qed cables...any thoughts would be appreciated...cheers

Orobas

Hiya

At that budget given the bright sounding denon and qed cables... i'd lean personally to something like an Elac Debut B5.2, Polk RTi A1, Dali Spektor 2 or Monitor Audio Bronze BX1 / 2's (if you can stretch to the 2 i'd say that one....) at that price to start with.

The nad i do believe is only a 20w amp.. so you will want sensitivity. and i would get some meatier cables just to tone down the treble.

Vepman

Thanks I can get some Dali Spektor 2s for £159.....maybe Ill get some stands too..I think actually I can go to £250 max....Ive had Audio Monitors before biwired...but Im not looking to biwire this time..

Orobas

I would head down to a richer sound or a sevenoak as they keep the nad in stock usually... I would lean to the Monitor Audio BX2 with a change of cabling personally... They are a much bigger sound than the Spektor but you can listen to them both there!

Hope that helps some

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
I would head down to a richer sound or a sevenoak as they keep the nad in stock usually... I would lean to the Monitor Audio BX2 with a change of cabling personally... They are a much bigger sound than the Spektor but you can listen to them both there!

Hope that helps some
Question to OP is it the old NAD 3020 or the new D3020?

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
For the cabling, just opt for QED's XTC or original speaker cable to reduce unwanted sharpness of sound

Paul7777x

I’d go for these every time. Superbly reviewed at £400 and now £300.

I know it’s a little over budget, but they are first class speakers and will happily stand an amp upgrade at anytime in the future.

Speakers can and do last longer than ten, fifteen and twenty years. So it’s good budget management to get the best you possibly can afford when first buying. And going for a minimum standard is also good practise. A tough bite to begin with, then happiness for many years.

They really are a special speaker.

Mission QX2 (Black Wood)

And, if you can’t find the extra budget;

Mission QX1 (Black Wood)

Also, please and forever, ignore totally and with zest, any and all bollocks-speak about cables.

Cables do not, and cannot, have a ‘sound’.

Bi-wiring is also utter nonsense. It does nothing, at all, except sell speaker cable.

A read of this should strike up an interest in the Missions,

Mission QX2 Standmount Speaker Review

As to the Nads power output; it has plenty. Nads of every era are built with a fine ability to swing plenty of current into even appreciably stiff loads.

Last edited:

Paul7777x

Ps, it seems the nearest RicherSounds to you is Leicester, about a 45 minute drive.

If you give them a ring beforehand, They will have any speaker you’d like to hear set up for you by the time you get there.

Costello

I’d throw QAcoustics 3020i into the mix as well. I run a pair from a NAD c320 BEE and I love the sound. I agree that NAD amps rarely struggle with power. You just have to listen to your choices. But, yes, commit as much of your budget as possible to speakers. If they move you in an audition, they’ll do that every day.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom