1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mbilal, Sep 19, 2004.

1. mbilal

mbilal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can anyone suggest which speakers I should buy to go with my Marantz PM7200 and Yamaha 305 subwoofer. I listen mainly to Hip Hop & R'n'B. Any suggestions please???

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    What is your budget? Do you want floor standers/ stand mounters or lifestyle speakers? Do they have to be a certain colour etc?

3. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

If you have the budget, go for the Canton CD300 floorstanders as I tried DR DRE on them one evening after work and they were out of this world even without a sub. The Aluminium drivers are so punchy. If not the CD100 floorstanders will give most other floorstanders a run for their money but need a sub for low end grunt.

Regards

4. mbilal

mbilal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have around £300 to spend on the speakers (i have spare cash for the actual cable). I'd prefer to buy floorstanders but i dont mind buying bookshelf speakers. I dont really care what colour they are.

In one magazine they recommended the B&W DM601 S3 speakers for use with the Marantz PM7200. Does anybody already have this combination.

cheers!!

5. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

I would seriously consider the Acoustic Energy Evo3's as they are floorstanders, retail at £350 and are very good for the money. Huge power, huge bass and great warmth.

regards

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The Marantz amp is already warm enough, I'd say something a bit brighter like the B&W's already mentioned would be a good match.

Also consider a set of Mordaunt Short MS914 floor standers, I use them with my Marantz SR7400, and they work very well with it.

If you can do without floorstanders the Quad IIL's would be almost perfect, especially seeing that you have a sub to deal with the low end grunt.