What speakers?

iancandler

Standard Member
I am disabled and bed bound, ie I cant get out of bed, having just had to give up shooting and sold my gear I decided to treat myself to a hifi for in here as my old arcam based system is too large.
I ended up getting a little NAD715DAB.

I am now looking for floorstanders to partner with it. I must emphasis floorstanders, I wont consider bookshelf size speakers on the wall or stands.

Obviously I need my speakers a little higher than normal and plan to run my TV through the system as well (no I dont want a surround sound set up)
I should say my current speakers are a pair of very old Mission 761i's on atacama stands.

I have been looking at the tallest floor standers I can find within my budget which is around £300 max.

So far I am leaning towards Tannoy Mercury F4's or Audio pro EVO 40 ultra's.

If I go for the Tannoys I will most likely have to sort out 3"-6" stone plinths for them to get them to the right height, the audio pro's I may be able to get away with none.

Please bear in mind this is fitting into a bedroom approx 12ft square and I have carers coming in so have to keep things neat and not pose any health and safety risks with things they could bang into or trip over.
The speakers will also be quite close to my LCD so magnetically shielded is a definite plus.

So any thoughts or suggestions please guys?

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
How do the Missions sound with the NAD amp? The reason for asking is that Mission speakers have a reputation for sounding bright tonally and best paired with warm sounding amps --- Tannoy F4s sound tonally warm and thus work well with bright sounding amps such as Sony.

So if looking for bright sounding speakers (and it may be worth getting confirmation that the NAD is classed as a warm sounding amp) the Monitor Audio silver range are currently selling for half price, due to a new range that has come out and would be a good pairing.

You may have to put these on plinths but consider the MA RS6s at about £325. You have to phone the dealers to get these prices --- web sites are still showing the full price.

Here are a few to try:

Monitor Audio RS6

MONITOR AUDIO RS6 @ SPEAKERS at hifix.co.uk

Monitor Audio Silver RS6 Floorstanding Speakers (Pair) - Quantum Electronics (UK) Limited

All are highly regarded authorised dealers and I would contact both for the best price if you are interested.

iancandler

Standard Member
I dont think I could run to them, though I could afford the R270's as they can be picked up for just over £200 a pair at present.
Either way I cant stick with the missions and stands as they are a bit cumbersome in here and if knocked there is always the chance of a speaker coming of the stand, whereas with floor standers theres less chance.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
I dont think I could run to them, though I could afford the R270's as they can be picked up for just over £200 a pair at present.
Either way I cant stick with the missions and stands as they are a bit cumbersome in here and if knocked there is always the chance of a speaker coming of the stand, whereas with floor standers theres less chance.

You mentioned a budget of £300 in your first post and was hoping you could stretch it by £25 to £325. As I said, the web sites are still showing the full prices --- you have to ring to get the half price deals.

iancandler

Standard Member
How do the Missions sound with the NAD amp?

Oddly they sound both a little shut in but also strident and "edgy" with vocals/voice only.

Bass wise they are fine,deep but tight, but then I have never had a problem with them on that score since placing them on mass loaded SE24's.

I think something warmer is in order so am leaning heavily towards the tannoys at present.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom