1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What speakers would you recommend for £250

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by agw_01, Aug 28, 2004.

1. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, it's been absolutely ages since I last posted here. It's nice to be back.

I've come into a bit of money, and am thinking of treating myself to some new audio gear. I'm going to try and sell my tape deck, cd-player and both pairs of speakers, and pick up a new CD player and a new pair of main speakers.

I'll keep my sub for the moment, as it's doing its job just fine.

Can anyone recommend any decent speakers which can be had for around £200-£250. I'm not really fussed if they're from RicherSounds or not, although it would be nice to not have to travel too far to pick them up.

2. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Monitor Audio B2
    Acoustic Energy Evo1
    B&W 601 s3

all great buys!!!

3. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What Hi-Fi raved about the new Wharfedale Diamond 9's. The mission m34i's are meant to be great too, although I was a little suspicious of that review as there is no mention of the m3i series on the website.

4. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    What speaker are you after ,stand mount ,floor standing or a full set of 5 ,your post isn't too clear.

5. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    :rolleyes: :boring:

6. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bob1, sorry I should have written my post more clearly.

I'm not really fussed if they are floor standing or stand mount. I do have a sub(ish) so that will help with the lower frequencies. Something which I forgot to mention though, is that these speakers should be able to fill a large room (about 15ft long).

Cheers for the list Falp. I've heard the 601 S3's playing in the Pratical Hi-Fi near me, but wasn't really paying much attention to how they sounded. At least I know I'll be able to get a demo of them locally though. As I said in my thread about buying a CD player, I'm going to take my time over this purchase and listen to loads of different speakers. They will be running with my Yammy reciever for a few months, until I can get an integrated amplifier, for which I'm hoping you guys will be able to help me with :)

How about something from Kef? I was looking at their Q1's a while ago and they looked like nice speakers. Oh, is the Mordaunt-Short 90x series any good also?

tom_nieto, the m34i's are gorgeous speakers! I love my Mission 700's. They might not be as detailed as my Eltax's, but the overall sound is much warmer. Are the m34's like this, or do they give a pretty neutral tone?

Thanks for all the replies.

7. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yes! take a listen to the Kef Q1's as well!

8. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,217

we like to think so ;). I would particularly recommend the 914 in that price area as it has been consistently well reviewed.
    ToF.

9. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been taking a closer look at the B&W 601's and have fallen in love with the Black version. They're absolutely gorgeous.

I've not made my mind up yet though, I've not even had any demos. ToF, thanks for the input :) I'm guessing you work for MS right? I'm sure I remember seeing your old avatar.

I've got quite a nice list of speakers in the £200-£250 area and am going to try and get demo's pretty soon :clap: The only hi-fi store near me doesn't stock the Mission M34i's which I'm quite sad about, but maybe I can get a demo somewhere else.

If anyone else has any good suggestions for speakers, please post them. Oh, when I eventually upgrade my subwoofer, I was thinking about a BK XLS200 having heard a LOT of good things about them. For £279, that's well within my budget. I could probably get that around Christmas.

Thanks for all the help.

10. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I got rid of my Eltax Silverstone 200's to a mates brother. I got £60 for them, which isn't too bad at all.

I also did a job for my mates other brother today, and got £50. With that money, and the money I had before, I have £150. :)

I'm going to try and sell my tape deck, cd player (not too bothered about one at the moment) and Mission 700's. Hopefully, I should make another £100 from those, which will give me a fair amount of money to play with.

I was looking on eBay today, and a pair of 601 S3's went for £142 with stands... I was kicking myself when I got home this evening.

I'm going to go down to my local Practical Hi-Fi next weekend, and see if I can get some demo's. If anyone can recommend any other speakers I should listen to, please let me know.

Regarding a new subwoofer, I'm leaning towards a BK XLS200. I can get it around christmas time, if money is ok. As for a new amp (will be running everything on a Yammy DSP-AX620 for a few months), I'm going to look at some of the NAD, Arcam, Denon and Marantz integrated. I've heard great things about the NAD C320BEE and C350, and am quite hooked on getting everything in silver (sub as well) along with black speakers.

I'll just have to see how it works out. Thanks for all the help and advice :thumbsup:

11. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    As Tons said earlier, have a listen to the Mordaunt Short MS914's, I have a pair and they are very good for the money.

What about the Quad IIL's? I'm sure you could get them for a good price if you hunt around?

12. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    A quick search and another option is the AE Evo3b's, cheapest £250. My mate has the Evo3 package and the main speakers are superb.

13. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies Kazman and Malabbey. I've been looking on my nearest hi-fi store's website (www.practicalhifi.co.uk) and am not too impressed at their stock. I probably won't be able to listen to any Monitor Audio Bronze speakers, a shame as I really like them. I think a trip into Manchester will need to be arranged also, as I'm sure there will be someone in Manchester who stocks more brands than Practical Hi-Fi.

Kazman, I did think about the Quad 11L's, but was put off by the price tag. I'll definately try and get a demo of those, but I'm only 5'5'' and may be faced with age/appearance discrimination (maybe a stupid thing to say, but I've been refused a demo at RS before).

Malabbey, I'll definately add the Evo3's to my list. Thanks.

14. rd350ypvs

rd350ypvs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah, defo audition the Evo 3's you won't be dissapointed

andyw

15. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've just sold my CD player and Tape Deck. That's another £60 :clap:

I'm going to try and get a demo of some Monitor Audio Silver's, but I might have to travel in order to hear them, as the place I'm going for demo's doesn't stock them.

Really excited and definately looking forward to the demo. This will be the first time I will have ever had a demo of expensive gear with a view to actually buying it.

Thanks for all the replies though, I really appreciate all the help.

16. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I had a demo this morning, and all I can say is WOW!

I took a list of about 8 or 9 pairs of speakers that I wanted to hear, and only got to hear 3 pairs. The B&W 601's, KEF Q1's and some new brand they stocked.

The demo area was quite large... several shelves of speakers to the left and right, and a large rack of amplifiers and CD players. Firstly, I heard the B&W's on an Arcam setup. They sounded great until the guy switched over to the KEF's. They were so much brighter than the B&W's. The new brand were even brighter than the KEF's.

After listening for about 5 minutes while the guy switched between speakers I was undecided. I really wanted to like the B&W's, but they weren't as good as the KEF's.

I thanked the guy and left, only to return 10 minutes later. This time, I asked to demo the B&W's on a NAD C352. What a massive difference! They sounded so smooth. He switched to the KEF's and then to the other brand. The KEF's suddenly sounded much brighter, but very neutral. They didn't sound very involving. The other brand were the same, although were a bit warmer then the KEF's. When he switched back to the B&W's I just started grinning.

They're definatley the speakers for me! I wish I could have demo'd the MS914's and some Monitor Audio's. Maybe I'll have a look around some other hi-fi shops before I make my final decision.

Thanks to everyone who posted. I'll let you know what speakers I choose.

17. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Sorry for the VERY late reply, but I just thought I would let anyone know has been happening.

A week ago on Thursday, I went down to Practical Hi-Fi and came home with a lovely, brand spanking new pair of B&W 601's :clap:

I don't know what to say. They're absolutely amazing. I thought they would sound pretty crap on my Yamaha, but I'm actually very very impressed. Music has so much depth it makes me smile everytime I listen to it. The imaging is crazy too. At times I think I'm listening to much bigger speakers.

I haven't used my sub since I hooked the speakers up, mainly because I want to hear what the speakers are capable of, and also to allow them to be ran in properly. I don't think I'll go back to my sub again. The bass output is awesome. These things drop lower than my sub ever could! The bass is never overwhelming, it just blends in seemlessly. Something that has really impressed me, is top end detail. It never sounds ear-piercing or harsh, it just sounds extremely well balanced and detailed.

I managed to get a small discount on some Nexus 6's too, which I have to say are bloody gorgeous stands. I got the speakers and stands for £300, whereas it would have cost me £320 if I had got them seperately. I'm not too fussed, as I think they are worth every penny. I can't wait to get a new amplifier later this year :)

Anyway, if you're interested, here are some pics...

Both Speakers - Cover Off (With Flash)

Both Speakers - Cover Off (Without Flash)

Both Speakers - Cover On (With Flash)

Left Speaker - Close Up (With Flash)

Right Speaker - Close Up (No Flash)

You can see pictures of the stands here

Thanks to everyone who replied with thoughts and feedback. I know I had already made my mind up before I posted, but your help was still very much appreciated.