1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Speakers w/ AVR300-DV29?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by WRG, Jun 4, 2005.

1. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again, I just a newbee, but I'd like to know what speakers Arcam users prefer..I've just purchased a AVR300, (my first Arcam product) and a DV-29. I presently have B&W speakers but I'd like to know what Arcam users prefer sonically in speakers. I've ordered a pair of Paradigm Signature S-2's to replace my former Matrix series B&W's. I previously had the Nautilus 805's and I sold them. I'd just like to hear some opinions.....any?

2. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    PSB Platinum T8s or T6s.

Or the Proac Respond series.

I am more and more liking hte Proacs.

3. Sparky66

Sparky66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi WRG,

I'm using Acoustic Energys' Aelite 3 as Mains ,Aelite 2 as surrounds , Aelite Centre and Aelite 1 as rear surrounds. These speakers seem to be a perfect match for the AVR300. I'm bi-amping all speakers via a P35 and P35/3 Arcam amps and the sound stage , musicality and liquid warm sound they produce is phenomenal.
    Anyway you really need to audition various speakers of your choice and taste tuned to your ear, as this is really the only way to decide .

Happy listening !!

4. Dean_S

Dean_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have successfully used the AVR300 (biamped via zone 2) with Quad22L speakers. I didn't audition anything else because I got the quads at a bargain price on ebay! The 22L certainly sound nice though and have a wonderful finish. What I particularly like about them is their neutral balance - not too warm & not too bright - for most recordings they seem spot on.

I would personally use small floorstanders over standmounters anyday (even in a small room). The bass performance is in a different league (deeper) & I don't seem to suffer any problems with stereo imaging.

With floorstanders, I find I don't need a sub for music, I could dispense with it except for film effects.

5. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting choices in speakers though actually, I've never heard any of those before. Usually you hear B&W, Paradigm, S.Faber, Jbl, and a lot of other brands playing here depending on what shop you go to. The higher end stores, which are relatively few within a 30min -1hr drive only carry the major brands Definitive Tech, Magnapan, B&W, Paradigm, Sunfire, Thiel and Wilson usually. As my listening room is also small too..the models I ordered come with the stand mounts for these bookshelfs. I've always had stand mount bookshelf speakers ie, N805's and the Matrix series, seems like they free up the space around the speaker and opens the sound up a bit...

So far I've read quite a bit up on the AVR300 and DV29...really useful information...seems like I've found another home to hang my hat, thanks for the replies :smashin:

6. MrKegFlex

MrKegFlex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pair of Onix Rocket 750 speakers and a pair of Onix Reference 1 speakers. Both sound really nice paired with the AVR300... I haven't felt the need to replace them with anything yet.

7. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Nice to see someone else with Rockets here! :thumbsup:

I am thinking about changing my amp, having just upgraded my dvd-player to the dv27a. The Arcam AV8/P7 and AVP700/P1000 are two options.. or maybe an Emotiva setup. :cool:

8. Dillon

Dillon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have heard praise for Dynaudio 52SEs and 72SEs with the Arcam gear, and they are top of my list when I start auditioning for replacements soon.

I believe Monitor Audio gold references are looked upon favourably in some quarters too.

9. Mofar

Mofar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm using the Dynaudio Audience 72SE with the Arcam AVR300 and it souds great!!

10. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Fronts - ProAc TR8 Sig
    Centre - ProAc Response CC2
    Surrounds - M&K CS-29 column surronds
    Sub - Velodyne SPL-1000

sounds FANTASTIC with movies AND in stereo :D :D

12. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    :smashin: on the speakers.... but a question on your speakers.. when u watch movies and or music if you ever do it in any dsp modes...

Do you notice the tonal differences between your front/centre and rears?

I currently have all towers front and rear matching and centre is of a generation back and the tonal mismatch annoys me.

13. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Arcam currently use Monitor Audio Silver and Gold series speakers quite a lot in their listenting rooms. They also have a full set of Audiovector speakers in their big room. At the end of the day it is personal preference so go and have a listen and make your own mind up.

14. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi, I only just upgraded my centre, rears and sub a few weeks ago. The centre was upgraded for the very reason of tonal matching. I had a Kef model 100 before and when I got the ProAc fronts (few months ago) I started to notice a difference with movies. The dialogue and certain f/x's just didn't sound as clear as I expected them to be. The sound from the fronts was excellent and I guess this made the difference more obvious. This wasn't an issue in stereo as I normally listen in 'direct' mode.
    With the new ProAc centre, everything sounds extremely natural now, there is no shift in quality with sound moving across the field, and the dialogue is extremely clear. Due to this I have also tried some of the dsp modes with 2 channel music and I am extremely impressed with how good it sounds - 'Music' dsp is my preferred choice.
    So all in all I think it helped me, certainly, to get a matching centre speaker. I'm very pleased with the performance I'm getting. Hope this helps mate.

15. SF49erJohn

SF49erJohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have purchased Onix Rockets to match up with my AVR300.
    :thumbsup:
    Fronts/Rears: 750 Sig's
    Center: RSC200

Very happy with this config.

16. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea, I'm afraid I'm heading for a definite mismatch with the Paradigm signature S-2's in the front with the b&w HTM..I was hoping that I could try a salvage some kind of balance till I can scrape together the cash for the Paradigm matching center :cool: This week I purchased the Arcam 300 and the DV29 and the paradigm s-2's...Im tapped out! I can wait for a month though...But the more I read about the mismatch in speakers timbre and tonal qualities, the more I'll probably notice it :suicide:

Crustyloafer, I was very close to a purchase of the Monitor Audio Golds, but here in Miami, Florida I could not find a close dealer to audition them, and when I had a peep at the Paradigm signature's I thought they were a very stunning speaker...

17. bigfanga

bigfanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that the Anthony Gallo Reference 3's are made for Arcam and that Gallo uses Arcam gear at all of their exhibits.

Just repeating what I've heard/read.

P.S. Just out of curiosity, how much does the shipping cost for you Onix owners?

18. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

One way around the centre tonal mismatch problem, is simply don't use a centre speaker. I use a plasma display, and there is no where to put a centre speaker. I tell the AV8 (or the AVR300) that I have no centre speaker, and all centre channel info is routed to the L & R fronts. If these are good quality speakers positioned properly (equidistant either side of the display), then it sounds as if it is coming from the display anyway.

BTW, this is not a poor sounding solution, I know one guy that tried and prefered it, and he had a very expensive B&W centre speaker.

Why not give it a go, you've got nothing to lose.

Regards,
    Ian

19. MrKegFlex

MrKegFlex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They have some of the shipping charges for the various packages listed on their website -

http://www.av123.com/support_orders.php

20. bigfanga

bigfanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I am familiar with the shipping page on av123. I guess I wasn't clear enough in my previous query. What I should've conveyed is that I live in the US and av123 is a US company, I am curious as to what the cost is to ship Onix speakers to the UK (or anywhere in Europe). In other words, does the shipping cost put the Onix speaker on a price par with other, more traditionally expensive, speaker lines.

Sorry I wasn't more clear on my question.

21. MrKegFlex

MrKegFlex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like AV123 is trying to work on that problem if you read into this thread some - http://forum.av123.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7418

22. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian, very good suggestion to eliminate the center channel...I may end up however doing just that, if the mismatch is annoying enough. I just have to put up with it until I can scratch the dough for Paradigm C3 center channel which is a little bit more than one S2 speaker themselves. OR...MAYBE...I'll like the speaker mix with the htm :suicide:

Thanks for the good suggestion :smashin:

23. tvh3ad

tvh3ad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Fronts - Linn Katan
    Center - Linn Trikan
    Surr - Linn Classik Unik
    Sub - MartinLogan Dynamo

Why not the Ninka or other more substantial mains? Our viewing/listening area is fairly small -- about 12ft/10ft -- and we have small children plus some other restrictions (i.e., a fireplace, an air duct, a door, etc.), & needed wall-mountable speakers. It came down to these or Dynaudio & we felt the Linns were the most neutral-sounding.

We're very happy with the setup, particularly for film.