What Speakers to use with a Parasound parasound hca-2205a Power amp

LuvCVs

Established Member
Reaction score
If anyone out there can help I have a parasound hca-2205a amp and I want to use 4ohm speakers to get the full 300w RMS power out of it, but trying to find THX ULTRA speakers is hard :( woould anyone know what THX ULTRA certified speakers are good to use?... I was looking at the M&K S-150THX ULTRA speakers, but websites say they are rated at 180w RMS - 400w max input but I don't want to ruin them nor put more of a load into them, would 5 of these speakers be ok?

So I read on these sites, I would need the system below, is that correct? As, can I use a pair of s-150's for rear use also?

S-150CTHX Center Channel Speaker:
Two 5.25" Woofer Drivers
Three 1" Tweeter Drivers
Power Handling: 25W - 400W
THX Ultra Certified Magnetically Shielded
Impedance: 4 ohms
Frequency Response: 77Hz - 20KHz
Crossover: Phase Focused

AND

One Pair S-150THX Front Speakers:
Two 5.25" Woofer Drivers
Three 1" Tweeter Drivers
Power Handling: 25W - 400W
THX Ultra Certified
Magnetically Shielded
Frequency Response: 77Hz - 20KHz
Crossover: Phase Focused

and 1 of

One Pair SS-150THX MkII Surround Speakers:
Tripole Surround Design
(1) 5.25" Woofer Driver
(2) 3" Mid-Woofer Drivers
(1) 1" Tweeter Driver
Power Handling: 25W - 200W
THX Ultra Certified
Frequency Response: 80Hz - 20KHz Crossover:
Phase Focused​

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran M&K S150THX fronts with M&K S85's rears when I had my Parasound HCA-2205AT. They sounded excellent. Pinpoint imaging and incredibly dynamic. Stupidly, I sold them which was a big mistake.

The Parasound will drive either the speakers you mention or five S150's without any issues.

That system deserves a decent sub though so hope you've got one.

Last edited:
I see, what did you use for the centre channel?... When you had the volume up fairly high, or, did it ever need to be up high? - did the drivers cope very well with the power-amps power? I'm selling one of my M&K subs (was to fund a Velodyne sub) but now to buy a THX ULTRA package so I can keep at least 1 and have some decent bass.

I had an S150THX centre as well. No issues running at Reference Level if you wanted to but I find that too loud personally. -10db or -15db is plenty loud enough.

I see, reference level is? (sorry, kinda a newbie with the THX sound system) :(

Reference Level is 0db on the volume setting after all speakers have been balanced to 75db with a sound level meter using test tones. Most Amps/Receivers have auto setup with a microphone so will usually do that for you.

You need not have to buy THX ULTRA speakers to get the best out of the Parasound

Im using Vintage Mission 780 Argonauts Bi amped with my Parasounds - and its incredible :smashin:

Ken

Ken Kreisel's "M&K" are no longer around, but his new company, KK Professional Sound, has been recently launched. Initially there's a couple of subs available, but speaker systems will be available very shortly. He will be releasing an updated and improved version of his original S150 design. Judging by the subs, it's going to be worth the wait :)

I see Jase, so I just set the volume as 0db on the preamp and let the test tone play for the pre-amp to adjust all the speakers? I have a Parasound C2 Controller which has a microphone with it, as of course no speakers yet to set it all up :(

There's no need to have the volume set at 0db for the test tone/setup routine. The test tones are set at a predetermined volume, and as you toggle through each speaker with the test tone sounding, you set to 75db with your SPL meter from there.

I see Jase, so I just set the volume as 0db on the preamp and let the test tone play for the pre-amp to adjust all the speakers? I have a Parasound C2 Controller which has a microphone with it, as of course no speakers yet to set it all up :(

Mine sets itself to 0db but as Dodge posted others will set themselves to a predetermined level then balance the channels.

What I meant to say was, the test tones aren't volume adjustable.

There's no need to have the volume set at 0db for the test tone/setup routine. The test tones are set at a predetermined volume, and as you toggle through each speaker with the test tone sounding, you set to 75db with your SPL meter from there.
Sitting in the area you would listen to music/movies setting the speakers with the metre?

You need not have to buy THX ULTRA speakers to get the best out of the Parasound

Im using Vintage Mission 780 Argonauts Bi amped with my Parasounds - and its incredible :smashin:

Ken
Mission 780 Argonauts, they were pretty fine speakers, what did you use as a centre? Most centres now days are only rated at like 80w - 120w RMS unless spending crazy money. I was going to go for 5x Cerwin Vega Clsc-215's but again,although they will! give serious slam, mids and upper frequency will be "not bad" I want better :(

Would some ELTAX X-Treme 400 be good enough anyone? for fronts, rears and a centre...

Anyone, I only have some Cerwin Vega VS-10 speakersfor now, rated at 150w RMS at 6ohms. Would these be ok to just test the Parasoundto make sure it;s working as long as I don;t turn the volume up too high?...

Anyone, I only have some Cerwin Vega VS-10 speakersfor now, rated at 150w RMS at 6ohms. Would these be ok to just test the Parasoundto make sure it;s working as long as I don;t turn the volume up too high?...

They'll be fine.

I do hope so, Cerwin Vegas are very bass related speakers, hope that factor helps :D

Odd... Using my Sony DA3200ES pre outs (front outs only) as my preamp is in need of a repair, but no sound on my speakers only a buzzing type of noise.

Anyone know if I'm doing anything wrong?

I'm using just a double Phone lead which is a VERY cheap one as I don't have another good quality one yet, running from the rear front left/right preout on my sony amp to the Parasound...

Check the manual for confirmation but I believe you need to have the Speaker Select set to A otherwise the Pre-Outs are disabled.

Check the manual for confirmation but I believe you need to have the Speaker Select set to A otherwise the Pre-Outs are disabled.
I've had a look online and in the manual but can't find anything. I did turn off all speakers A/B etc etc but not tried them "on" yet, will try that. :)

Works fine now...

Just, if I turn the Parasounds own volume knobs anymore than halfway I get a loud/hissy sound, I am guessing this is the Cerwin Vegas "safe limit" just before I turn the volume up (before the hissing starts) ? :)

Used to set mine to THX when I had it as the Denon I used as a Pre-Amp was THX Certified. Had no hiss at all.

Used to set mine to THX when I had it as the Denon I used as a Pre-Amp was THX Certified. Had no hiss at all.
Ahh, most probably why there is a hiss as I'm only using my Sony DA3200ES pre-outs which is not THX certified but my Preamp (a Halo C2 Controller is THX certified) just waiting on Pasrasound to send me a replacement Bios chip for it.

So, it wont hurt using a non THX av amp for a preamp just for a few days?...

Sorry about all the questions, quite a newbie "high end" amp person here haha

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom