What speakers to partner Cyrus 2 amp?

Polymoog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

In a recent fit of ebay impulse buying I bought a nice Cyrus 2 amp to replace my old Denon PMA 250III amp. My sources are a Marantz CD63SE and a Rega Planar 2 TT, and my speakers are Acoustic Energy AE109 floorstanders. Cable Talk Talk 3 speaker cable. You'll gather I haven't upgraded my modest little system since purchase in the early 90s :)

Anyway I got the Cyrus out of curiosity to see what it's like, knowing I can easily move it on if it doesn't suit.

Predictably, it's way more detailed, spacious, and grunty than the Denon, but it's clear that the speakers are too bright for the amp (or vice versa), and the high end is almost painful to listen to on some recordings. Even at low volumes there can be a searing quality to the treble which is plain uncomfortable.

Now I could just admit the Cyrus was a bad idea and sell it on, but I'd be interested to hear some speaker recommendations which might go better, particularly as I've been toying for a while with the idea of some standmounts (or even floorstanders) which might be more forgiving in positioning and less flabby than the AE109s which I struggle to give the space they need to breathe.

So over to the experts - what would be a good match for the Cyrus? Any particular brands or models to consider or avoid? No particular budget in mind but lets say up to £200, used or new, and possibly a tad more if I can persuade myself.

Thanks for any help!

I had to let my C2 go - too ear piercing for my liking. The C7 was much more balanced.

If you decide to keep it you'll need some speakers that tame those highs.

Up until a few weeks ago i had a Cyrus 2 with the PSX power supply - bought brand new in 1990. These were partnered with Mission 782 speakers bought at the same time, and were all still going strong, great punchy, fast sound, with good bass. Not sure what would be a good match with current generation speakers though ?.

Interesting, thanks. There's a pair on ebay now but they look like they've been in the wars! Too rough looking for me.

What value did you put on your 782s?

It was a long time ago, but i think they were approx £350 new back then. I still have them, but they unfortunately are not for sale!.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom