1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What speakers to audition ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mooky, Aug 11, 2003.

1. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm about to sell my audiolab 8000s etc. and delve in to home cinema. I'm ditching the old music scene and just want to concentrate on AV enjoyment. So, I have about £850 - £900 to spend on a recevier and sub/sat speakers. I'm currently thinking of auditioning :-

Receivers
    --------------
    Yamaha rx-440v

Marantz 4300 - Although i'd prefer a silver amp not gold !!
    Denon 1803 - Although i'd prefer a silver amp not gold !!
    Pioneer ??!!??

Sub/Sat
    -----------
    Kef KHT 2005.2
    JM Labs Sib/Cub

Are there any other receivers/subsats I should be auditioning. Perhaps a slightly older amp but high spec e.g. Sony STRDB-1080B ?

Mark.

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can find the STRDB1080 in store to demo then go for it - you won't be disappointed.

May aswell add an SR5300 to that list, I didn't pick it myself but you may like the sound it delivers (it's available for £250 from Richer Sounds - alledgedly).

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hmmmmmmmm.

I have big reservations about letting you sell your Audiolab, even if it is to help fund your way into AV.

You'll be mightily disappointed by the drop in sound quality from a cheap AV receiver compared to the Audiolab.

The speaker choices seem fine, but I'm loathe to recommend a receiver of lesser ability/quality than your stereo amp.

Can you not save up to buy better at a later date?

Audiolab stuff is readily available 2nd hand, ie, a couple of power amps + another brand proc. going cheap like a Rotel, and keep the 8000S for the left and right pair.

4. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you're saying but, here's the deal.

I have absolutely no room left for any more equipment so buying additional boxes as a DSP etc. are just a no go. I have a £700 amplifer that's being used for music say once a month. All I ever seem to do these days is watch DVD's and push the audio through the audiolab. I'm afraid it's just time to ditch the audiolab, arcam CD etc. and move on to AV stuff. I'm not really worried about music, I just want a decent surround sound experience for the money I have.

Mark.

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Fair enough.

Shame you can't utilize it in someway with the space you've got.

Witters was selling a very good Rotel integrated a little while back on behalf of someone. £675 or so. That'd be my start point for an AV amp.

Good luck.

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would seriously reconsider what you're gonna do. I have a Audiolab 8000S and I wouldn't trade this for a £2000 AV amp.

Honestly going from the 8000S to a budget AV amp will really be a MASSIVE downgrade

Even my MC-1 does not sound as good as the 8000S. I have tried a couple of cheapo Yamaha's (£400) and really sound awful- bloated bass, lacking definition. And if you go for the Sony I think you'll be plesently suprised of the Sony sound...ie awful sounding :D

Here's a picture of my setup.. just to give a idea that I would rather have lots of boxes instead of a AV amp for everything. It think it puts your system into perspective. If I can live with this no of boxes- I think you comftable with the no of your boxes! :D

Attached Files: