1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What speakers should i get with my receiver

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mattruston, May 7, 2003.

1. mattruston

mattruston

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just purchased a Denon avr-3802, for a bargain price and im wondering what speakers to get? I'm looking to spend no more than about a grand on 6 speakers and a subwoofer, so i can get proper dtses or dolbyex

im looking at either the kef coda series, although im not too sure, or possibly the wharefdale pacific evo series, the mission m5 series. Im not too clued up on speakers and subs, so i would like some advice :)

any would be greatly appriciated. Cheers!!

2. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Best bit of advice anyone can give you is to go and give them a demo and decide which ones you like best.

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    sub = £300 ish
    stands x 4 + cable = £200 ish (don't go for cheap floorstanders)

6 speakers = £500. I'm not a fan a packages so for me it would be a tough ask to get real quality. Monitor Audio Bronze, Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo one, Kef Coda 70 (very pretty) would all be on my list - an extra £300 gets you into the realm of Kef Q & B&W 601 S3.

Alternatively do what I did - blow most of your speaker fund on fronts and centre and get some reasonable speakers for the rear for the time being (I kept a pair of Tannoy MX1 which did nicely) then upgrade the rears as money permits (I now have 4 x Kef Q1s A Kef Q9c and a Kef Egg as a centre rear)

Best thing is to work out your budget for speakers and get down to 7oaks or whoever and demo what the dealer can suggest for your money - demo on a Denon amp and make sure the speakers are placed in a configuration similar to how they will be in your room. If you get the speakers from a good dealer, they'll probably even take them home to make sure you're really happy.

BTW phone to book a demo like this as 7oaks in particular are very careful about HC demos and like to configure the speakers accurately so they like plenty of warning.

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Lucky you! My local dealer hasn't a clue. They tried to get me to listen to some Kef speakers which they removed from the box in front of me! When I said I prefered to hear a set that was run-in a bit more, they just looked blank.:mad:

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    RS your Local Dealer then Nobber?
    As a point to start with B&W 601s3 £300 with stands B&W LCR60 Centre £200 VX10 from Uncle Eric £200+ cable£10 Mission M7ds rears £100 online Mission M7C Centre (rear) £80 online Youn will need £100 ish for cbales but buy the front 3 from one dealer and the rear three at anothe and you should get enough cable thrown in also look at B&W 300 series or 600s3 for the rears! Under a £1000 will get you B&W VM1/LM1 £125 each x 6 = £750 and the AS1 Sub for £225 or I would say a Velo VX10 For £200 is a better buy! Thats £950 with a VX 10 not a lot left for cables etc!!! You should get a 10% discount or freebies buying 6 VM1/LM1 speakers that should cover cable!!!!.
    PS FOr musive look at a combi of 600 series, for mainly movies VM1 are nice looking and sound great!!!!!
    HAve a look here B&W

6. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, it seems opinion varies on the subject of how to divvy up you budget for a 5.1 or 6.1 speaker setup.

Of course, it depends on the size of the budget in question, but with £1000, I'd be looking at spending up to around half of that on the subwoofer (unless doing a DIY, but that's another debate :) )

For the rest, it depends on the type of speakers you want.
    If you have a decent subwoofer, large bass capable speakers aren't necessary, but equally I wouldn't go too far the other way - very small speakers are seldom up to the job IMO.
    As has been said, once the size and looks questions are out of the way, it's really down to personal preference - each speaker has it's own character.

You could for instance look at 3 pairs of Diamond 8.1 speakers plus the matching centre speaker (the Denon will drive two surround back channels if you want them, sort of pseudo 7.1 - jury's out on whether one or two speakers is best, just as it's still out on whether it's best to use "normal speakers", bipolar, dipolar, tripolar.....blah blah. Personally I think it's whatever you like the sound of best, and which fits your budget and room).

I'm not a big believer in the whole speaker cable thing personally, but I know others are, so it's your choice.
    I believe as long as the cable is reasonably well made, and is thick enough to offer very low impedance, then I really don't think it makes much difference - certainly at this level I think there are better ways to spend the money!
    Reasonable stands and/or wall brackets (esp the rears) would be needed too, so don't forget to budget for those!

7. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I wish! :rolleyes: At least RS are cheap and you KNOW what kind of rubbish they are gonna spout before you even get there. My dealer charges like a wounded bull and is almost as unfriendly to boot.:mad:

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    LOL I would move mate!!!!

9. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    I'd start off with around £200-250 on a subwoofer ... now people are going to say thats not enough but you have several option for that kind of money. (1) secondhand - should get a REL Q100E, Q50 for that kind of money, (2) new - few options worth considering, Richer Sounds do the Paradigm PS1000 or the PDR10 within that budget or people here have reported good things on the Mission M5 sub (can't remember it's exact model number) or (3) the Velodyne VX10.

Front speakers ... look at around £300 for this pair of speakers ... recomendations would be B&W 602s3, Mission M51, KEF Q1, Wharfdale Evo 10. To this add a matching centre which will probably be around £200 to match these.

Rear speakers ... well with what we've already spent (around £750) you still have a reasonable amount to spend on the rears. Some people prefer dipolar or bipolar speakers ... it's a lot down to your preference - so go and have a demo or 5. It doesn't matter if they are the same make as the fronts or not.

Hope this gives you some ideas and this is about how I would spend £1000 on 7.1 speakers if I didn't have any to begin with. You could spend more on the sub, or if you are looking for best possible music may want to spend more on the front speakers.

Vikki

PS ... don't forget to budget something for stands and cables. Don't need to go ott ... but Attacama Nexus for stands are a good starting point at around £70, and budget around £1 - £1.50 for cable - fronts at least, if you need long runs for rears go cheeper (B&W do 79 strand for £10 for 25m).

10. mattruston

mattruston

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers all. I know the 3802 has been replaced by the 3803. but is my denon avr 3802 good value at £500 brand new?
    I think i'll go and demo. But i really want it to play music as well as films. seeing as my denon can play dvd audio and sacd's :)
    what a bugger i am ahah

11. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    My B&W's are for sale in the classifieds if your interested- a bargain to be had and complements the AVR3802 well.