1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What speakers should I buy?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by blakeyboy, Dec 28, 2003.

1. blakeyboy

blakeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have got £800 to spend on some floorstanding speakers and another £200-£250 on a matching centre speaker to go with them. What would you choose if you had that money?

2. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I too am looking for a new pair of fronts and a centre for similar money.

My shortlist consisted of:
    Wharfedale EVO 30
    Wharfedale EVO 40
    Kef Q7
    Monitor Audio S8
    Castle Conway 3
    Focal JMLab Cobalt 816 Signature S

Admittedly the last 2 are a little more than the others at about £950 - £1,000.

I've tried the EVO 30's and wasn't that impressed.
    They were OK but nothing special and not a significant improvement on my current set up.
    I've yet to try the rest.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Are you saying floorstanding for any specific reason? I would probably stick to standmounters at your budget..... considering you also want a centre, it will likely give more coherent sound into the bargain.

ad

4. Mark123

Mark123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    What about B&W 603s3 floorstanders (£600) and LCR600 Centre (£350). I currently have these and am very happy with them

5. blakeyboy

blakeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    buns - I have listened to the Kef Q7's and was impressed by them do you think standmounts would still be better in this price range and what do you think would be good standmount?

Mark123 - I have got a soft spot for the B&W's I only have the DM303 and a CC3 at the moment. So I was thinking about the 603s3.

So many to choice from. Its O.K trying the speakers out but I find when you get them home they sound so diferent with your own set up.

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    blakeyboy,

it depends what you like, what you are intending as primary use, how big the room is, what sub..... there are alot of factors. I used to have (cheaper) floorstanders but have now been using big standmounters (discontinued) from celestion. Whilst not having the same ultimate depth, i feel the sound is just all the more pleasant. Of course my room is not overly big.....

As for current choices..... i havent looked in a while. There were suprememly good speakers from jamo, the concert 8 standmount. Very like my celestions, but probably a step up if im honest. They are also discontinued but if you are lucky, you could find a pair in the back of someones shop somewhere. I think actually there was a direct replacement for this model..... so I would look that direction if you want to see quality standmounters. Im sure there are more, but that would be my choice.

ad

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    When Castle speakers are run in they sound sublime, I really like my 5

8. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have the DM303s at the moment, then it might be wise for you to couple these with the DM903 floorstanders (to be used as front speakers) and the LCR303 (I think that's the model number). There's also a matching subwoofer from the matching '03' B&W range. This might be a worthwhile solution.

Otherwise the DM600 S3 speakers suggested are also a wise choice, But you'd need to buy one of the series' subwoofers, the cheapest of which would eat up half of your budget. The DM602s LCR600 and DM600s make sense although again, they'll eat up most of your budget and leave little for a subwoofer.