1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What speakers should i buy for loud beats??

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by skratcher, Dec 7, 2004.

1. skratcher

skratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased and fitted the brand new sony xplod flip down cd-mp3 headunit in my 206. I really only want to install speakers into my parcel shelf which is re-inforced. 6x9s are the obvious choice which is cool but i would like some advice on what sort of power ratings to get for a loud bassy sound. I can also fit a sub, but i dont want it in a box in the boot. Im not sure if it can go in the parcel shelf if so what types.Any help would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

2. roscopervis

roscopervis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Ignore power ratings, your head unit amp only puts out about 15wrms so the mega silly power ratings claimed on 6x9s are pointless. Sensitivity is more key, if its more sensitive it will go louder on less power.

Also as you will be sitting at the front of the car (i'm guessing unless you have a Chauffeur) it would make more sense to get better front speakers. Again, ignore ratings, these only come into play if you have an external amp. Your closer to these speakers so they would be louder.

If you want a sub you will need an amp. If you are going to get one, get a four channel amp and also amp your front speakers. Excellet basic system then. Will be as loud and bassy as you need with a good image and soundstage too (Ie not at the back of the car)

3. skratcher

skratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx very much. What sort of sensitivity rating would you recomend, i have seen some around 93db, is this quite good?, also If i did purchase a sub and amp would i need to install the sub in a box, i dont want to lose my boot room but iv been told the acoustics go to [inappropriate word removed] if it is not in a box. Can any be installed directly into the parcel shelf. So i can get a nice sound all over my car. If so any ideas which ones??

4. roscopervis

roscopervis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Basically the 93 db/m is quite high yes. It can be explained like this. The Db scale is logarithmic so just 3 db equals an effective doubling of volume. The 93db/m speaker will play to 93db's with 1 watt of power at one metre. A 90db speaker will take roughly double the power to make the same perceived volume. Does that make sense? So as you will initially running off the Hu with only about 15wrms then sensitivity is key. If you have an external amp then this is not critical.

Now if you want a sub then you will HAVE to get an amp. You can find fairly decent 4 channel ones for around £100, that will allow you to use it to power a sub of a bridged set of channels ( usually channels three and four) and run your front speakers in stereo off a channel each.

You can but Bass Tubes and whatever but they sound poor in comparison to a real sub and amp set up.

You can buy subwoofers that can runn off the parcel shelf, these are called infinite baffle subs and use the boot as the chamber.

However there some 10" subs which only require a very small box to work and generally sound much tighter than infinite baffle subs. Those would be my choice. There are also some very decent 8" subs (Crystal make a monster and RE are very well regarded) and these take up very little space and sound amazing. Some have even fitted them under the front seats!

I should also add that amping your fronts (even your standard fronts) makes the world of difference, it is like the difference from tape to cd for me!

The amp allows flexibility so that you can eliminate the hard to play bass noted from the fronts and only allow the sub to play the low bass so that in effect all the bass sounds like it is coming from the front speakers! I cant explain the science too well on that but it happens.

If you get a sub and 6x9s they work to rob each other of air and compromises the quality of bass so you get less bass often with both of them than you would just the sub.

If you have any queries, just ask :)