What speakers out of these?

plex

Established Member
Reaction score
They will be used for dance music so some nice bass would be great.

Eltax Liberty 5+
Mission 702e
Mission M72
Mission M73

Any advise guy's?

If all you want is bassy dance music, then a pair of Wharfedale Valdus 400 from Superfi (£120) may be more up your street.
Certainly not subtle, but they may just be an ideal compromise for you!

Have a listen to the Whaarfedale diamond 8.3's. I compared them to the mission M73's and they have IMO better bass.

Forgot to add I also need them to be clear as they will be used for mixing.

I have now narrowed it down to the mission m73's or the WHARFEDALE 8.3's

Which one would be better and also will they be ok on stands as I need them at head hight as i will be mixing.

Originally posted by lynx
Eltax Liberty 5+
Masterpiece for the price.

I'm now even more stuck on what to get.

can anybody give me any more help which might help me pick one.

Originally posted by plex

I'm now even more stuck on what to get.

can anybody give me any more help which might help me pick one.

Erm... go and have a listen perhaps? :)

MuFu.

Originally posted by MuFu

Erm... go and have a listen perhaps? :)

MuFu.

Yes that's what i'll have to do.

Just one last question to all, will floor standing speakers be ok on stands?

Originally posted by plex

Yes that's what i'll have to do.

Sorry, I didn't mean that in a bad or patronising way, mwehehehe... I don't usually mind buying purely upon overwhelming general consensus either, but if it's really close as it seems to be in this case, then a good listen is the only way. :cool:

What kind of stands did you have in mind (and why do you want to raise them)? I guess small pedestal's would be fine and perhaps bring them up to optimal (seated) listening level, but there really isn't much point unless the floor is wet or something, lol. I think the m73's are something like 80-90cm high anyway.

MuFu.

Originally posted by MuFu

Sorry, I didn't mean that in a bad or patronising way, mwehehehe... I don't usually mind buying purely upon overwhelming general consensus either, but if it's really close as it seems to be in this case, then a good listen is the only way. :cool:

What kind of stands did you have in mind (and why do you want to raise them)? I guess small pedestal's would be fine and perhaps bring them up to optimal (seated) listening level, but there really isn't much point unless the floor is wet or something, lol. I think the m73's are something like 80-90cm high anyway.

MuFu.

I'm not too sure on which stands but the reason is that they will be used for mixing on my turntables and my turntables are setup at standing hight.

Any idea's as to what stands to get, they will need to be around 50cm I guess.

Also is there any think else I could use instead of metal stands e.g. block bricks?

Sure... you could use solidly-stacked bricks (with something like felt on top) or a quality, entry level stand to raise the speakers by about 50cm, but bear in mind that it won't be the most stable of arrangements, and I personally don't think there will be much point anyway.

Raising the speakers will perhaps sharpen up the treble slightly. Higher-frequency sounds are usually more directional. As a result, having the tweeters at eye level will probably bring out more HF detail than if they were on the floor; you'll get a brighter, more lively feel from the speakers and possibly a widened soundstage/better imaging. This would be good, but isn't too critical with dance music so I'm sure you'd be fine with the floorstanders just used conventionally (i.e. on the floor). Bass won't be improved noticeably at all by raising them up. In fact - from your point of view, you may notice that bass "presence" will decrease if you raise the speakers due to decoupling (depends on how you raise them though, I guess).

Perhaps get them and play with positioning/mounting systems, then you can decide whether you want to raise them or not.

MuFu.

P.S. Since these are going to be used for dance mixing, I'd be inclined to favour the Eltax too. A mate that mixes DnB for uni nights uses a pair of Millennium 500's for his "work" (lol); there isn't a £130 speaker around able to go that deep and that loud. They have a weird lift in the mid-bass which makes them sound heavier than they actually are, and they're not the most refined speaker in the world by a long, long way. They are over a metre tall and use two 25cm woofers for handling LFs, though - a lot of *boom* for your buck. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom