1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What speakers for Yamaha RX-V650

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by univox, Jan 25, 2005.

1. univox

univox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a "proud owner" of Yamaha RX-V650 almost a month and now I'm thinking over the front speakers. I'm intended to load the receiver in the car and to take a test-trip between Hi-Fi stores to test different speakers with it.But first I'd like to read some impressions from all of you.The preliminary list includes:

HECO Concert 15 (appr. J400)
    Mission m34 (J330)
    Mission m53(J450)
    Tannoy Fusion 3(J200)
    Tannoy Sensys DC2(J500)
    Unisound A265 (J500)
    New ideas are admired!

The room is appr.20sqm and stereo is of first importance.I read somewhere in the forum an opinion,that Yamaha requires speakers not so bright.Does somebody could confirm this?
    Waiting for your advices :lease:

2. mk

mk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have the Mission 780se and Mission 78c connected to my Yamy 650 and find the quality of sound quite good for Movies and very good for stereo.

I prefer 'full range' speakers much more than satellite speakers.

The Mission speakers are better for stereo than for 5.1. Very good for DVD-Audio as well.

I would say though that the amp appears to struggle to drive them at highish volumes, much more than the celestion 305 speakers I had previously.

The speakers can be bought for £199 for 78c centre and £199 for 780se stand mounts at the moment.

3. univox

univox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot, but I've always preffered to use floorstanding speakers.I've heard many good sounding bookshelfs,but...you know how it is whit the internal voice:)

4. jpo

jpo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't suppose you can still get them new... but I use Eltax Chroma's on my 650. The Chroma's have a pair of LARGE floor standing front main speakers. I 'enjoy' the sound they make.. I've had the Chroma's about 4 years now and have used them with a Yamaha AX2 (Excellent with movies, too bright for music), a Yamaha 630 (ok, very muddled sound field, far too basey/lack of clarity for music) and the same speakers are now sounding excellent on the 650, both for movies and music... Though of course my hearing could just be shot to hell! Neither of course do I have anything else to compare them to.

Peter

5. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
  6. korman

korman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello
    Mission M34i (which are supposed to be improved compared to M34) are available now for £269 at unbeatable
    http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_24692.html
    I am also interested in these, and the 5.1 setup was highly rated in January WHF. Does anyone have any opinions on them?

7. univox

univox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    O.K.,guys, the conquest is over.I went for Tannoy Sensys DC2 and I think I didn't wrong.They have incredible detailed mids, crystal voices, even female and bass enough for the 20 sqm room.Trebles are, of coarse, out of discussion whit those supertweeters. Very correct 2 and 3 dimensional stage representation and they don't get me tired after long listening.Just they need some tryes to determine the right replacement. I used the foam damper bungs and leaved a dictance of arr. 25 cm from the rear wall to obtain proper bass.And I think It's better to remove face grills for brighter sound. :thumbsup:

8. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Korman, I bought a pair of M34s over a year ago when they first came out. I'd previously used them with a Yamaha HTR-5630 but when the Yamaha DSP-750AX came out I couldn't resist and snapped up a unit. However, this just came to highlight the M34s lack of treble and made them sound very muddy. I was then in the process of looking for a pair of replacement floorstanders when I read a very positive review in What HiFi for the improved M34is. I then proceeded to email Mission who told me I could have the M34i modifications carried out to my M34s. I decided to just have the parts (new tweeter and crossover with improved internal wiring) delivered and fit them myself. The whole mod must have taken less than half an hour for both speakers.

:clap: Now my speakers sound completely transformed. The treble is sparkly without tipping into brightness, the midrange is lush and the bass well defined and punchy. The step up between the two was a major surprise for me and highlights how much of an effect little components can have on the overall sound. I would wholeheartedly recommend the M34is as they sound way better than my friends Acoustic Energy Evo 3s, albeit his being on a Denon 2105. And they go plenty loud with little distortion :D Now go out and buy a pair!!