• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What speakers for YAMAHA RX-V465?

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Mordaunt Short Avant Premiere

These are a bit of a bargain at £150 as they are the speakers from the Premier Plus speaker package, that along with the sub sold for about £500. As you already have the sub, you just need the speakers.

Mordaunt Short speakers work very well with Yamaha amps as their bright nature suits the warm sound of the Yamaha amp.

Down the line, you may want to upgrade the fronts to something more substantial, but they are a great starter speaker. I used to use them as surrounds in the lounge and now use them as surrounds in the bedroom system.

This is a review with the older Mordaunt Short 308 sub (replaced by the better 309) It's hard to say how your sub would compare with the 308.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/files/reviews/HCC/118_HCC_0804.pdf

the-nature-one

Standard Member
Hi,

thanks or your reply.
£150, not bad, but I was actually thinking about something bigger then this. Something that will give me a little bass, something like this
OLi 1 : Roth Audio
OLi C2 : Roth Audio ...mind you, I haven't got enough space to put it anywhre in front of the tv :/
Or perhaps something like this will be good enough?
Kenwood Electronics Europe | Speakers > KS-8200HT
Kenwood Electronics Europe | Speakers > KS-5200HT
I can slightly go over £200 as it must last for years.
I will definitely consider them, but I'd love to have something that looks nicer and black :D

Last edited:

pingu666

Standard Member
if your lucky with stock, you might be able to get wharfdale 9.1 front, 9.0 rear, 9cc center for £200

the 9.1's are way bigger physicaly btw, so if thats a issue, get more 9.0's :)

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
if your lucky with stock, you might be able to get wharfdale 9.1 front, 9.0 rear, 9cc center for £200

the 9.1's are way bigger physicaly btw, so if thats a issue, get more 9.0's :)

I have a pair of Diamond 9.0 and for the money and size of the speaker they are great. There is plenty of bass there but it seems soft, warm base to me with no punchiness and coupled with the warmness of a Yamaha amp it could be even more that way.

They are a bargain ATM and if you can get a demo to check the sound out, and it works for you, the Daimond 9 series is a good buy.

the-nature-one

Standard Member
Hi guys,

thanks for your advice ;)

in the end I went for Diamond 9.0 as richer sound do them for £49 which I think is a bargain. I got 3 pairs, 2 front, 2 rear, 1 center and one left as a spare one and it all works great.
I am happy with the base and the treble. It's all good.:smashin:

Someone asked me today if I have spikes for them. Until then I didn't realize they are important(?). The sub I have is on rubber stands. Someone also said they prevent low frequency noise from transmitting to other rooms. Is it noticeable? I'm thinking of my neighbors now :suicide:
If so, do I screw them to the speaker or stand?

pingu666

Standard Member
i dont think the diamond 9's have anything on the bottom ? and youll want the spikes on the stands.. I think stands should come with spikes

and that amp should have a auto setup thing with a micraphone, atleast ours did (365), might help your worries about upsetting the neighbours :)

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom