What speakers for my alpha10s/10p

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ratkiller, Aug 27, 2006.

1. ratkiller

ratkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an arcam alpha 10s intergrated plus 10p power amp my cd is a marantz 52se/speaker cable is qed silver anniversary/cable talk interconnects/speakers are the kef q35's/i have been after some new speakers to front the system,i have had the quad 11l and 12l in my home for trial which were both very good but whilst they certainly have a lot of punch they certainly cannot match the kefs soundstage or subtleness any ideas? I was thinking of the q35.2 as they are supposed to be improved from the q35 i currently own. Or what about trying the new iq5 any advise or past experience would be greatly recieved,i am not bothered at all about buying second hand equipment as long as the sound is right. my budget is 500
    pounds.

2. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Look for used RDM series. The RDM 1 and 2's are standmounts which were around £600 and £900 and the 3's are floorstanders which were about £1400/1500. You should pick up the 3's for around your budget or a little more....but it'll be worth it.

They will have the sound you know and love from what you already have, and are all but Reference series but without internal bass drivers. Bi-amping them with a 10 and 10P will do a great job too. Changing to Q35.2's will be a small step that's not really worth the outlay.

3. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would try to hunt down some old B&W 805 matrix,exellent speakers,and change the cables.

4. ratkiller

ratkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

5. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    The IQ5's, as good as they may be are just the replacements for what you have, so are pretty much going to be a sideways step. Your amplification deserves more. If you could find some used RDM's to give a big improvement on what you already have (Kef does go well with Arcam), then they will survive a few amp upgrades in the future to further your system.

6. ratkiller

ratkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info .. have just listened to the new atc box speakers and the monitor audio rs6's nice speakers but the atc's are pretty awesome so thinking i may be stretching my budget some.

7. lazarus

lazarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    ive also got an arcam alpha 10 and 10p and was delighted with the monitor audio studio 20se i purchased a little while later.

ive recently upgraded my speakers but i would recommend a pair of monitor audio speakers. :thumbsup: maybe the studio 20se's, gr60's or the new gs range (which i'm not really familiar with tbh).

i found the slight 'forwardness' of the speakers balanced the 'warmth' of the arcams.

8. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    The three generations of MA's all had tonally different presentations, particularly the current ones compared to the previous two. Make sure you don't try out the current MA's and make a decision on earlier MA's based on that listening. The previous ones had a much leaner sound to them.