• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What speakers for Denon AVR1906

NathanE

Standard Member
Thinking of buying this AV amp...

What speakers should I get?

Is it essential to have a center-rear?

Can you use floorstanders as rears?

Xan

Established Member
Hi NathanE,

Depends on the size of the room to be honest with regards to speakers, you can either go for sub/sat in a smaller room or larger full size loudspeakers if you have a large room.

It's not essential to have a centre rear but does make a differnce by filling in the hole between the two rear speakers, if you watch more films than music go for the centre rears if you can, if you listen to music more keep to a 5.1 system and use the Denons extra 2 channels from it's 7 to bi-amp the front left and right to improve the 'stereo only' sound.

You can use any speakers as rears, just remember to try and keeps each speaker the same make/model if you can to keep the sound 'uniform'.

Hope this helps, regards, Xan.

NathanE

Standard Member
This is the room

room.gif

I quite like the Celestions in that dark brown colour. I'm having the room installed with laminate flooring of the same colour and I think they'd suit the room. How is their audio performance though?

Although I will be watching movies, I think mostly its usage will be music and the occasional PC game.

andrewtayloruk

Established Member
That's the same layout as our place; I've got the 1906 and it's a great system. I wish I'd gone for the next model up as I believe it handles svideo to component conversion, which would have meant one less lead to run to the TV, but, I can't complain about setup or sound quality.

I got a great set of Canton's from Jake in the Speakers Powerbuy forum, they sound excellent in the room and the look the business as well.

Didn't bother with a centre rear, but, I might add one later.

Andrew

IWANTBLUE

Established Member
andrewtayloruk said:
That's the same layout as our place; I've got the 1906 and it's a great system. I wish I'd gone for the next model up as I believe it handles svideo to component conversion, which would have meant one less lead to run to the TV, but, I can't complain about setup or sound quality.

I got a great set of Canton's from Jake in the Speakers Powerbuy forum, they sound excellent in the room and the look the business as well.

Didn't bother with a centre rear, but, I might add one later.

Andrew

JFI The 2106 dosent upconvert s-video to component either....I went for the 2106 for exactly that reason, only to find it didnt...
It converts/switches s-video and composite to s-video.
and component to component
However the extra cable wasn't a problem for me and I am Very Very happy with both my Denon and the 150qx speakers also purchased from Jake :)
I have read many good reports of the 1906 I'm sure It will serve you well, the 2106 has a little bit more oompf available if needed but I have a similar sized room, concrete/carpet and the 2106 is more than enough for me :)

Nick.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom