1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What speakers for Cambridge 540R

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Monkey Alan, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Monkey Alan

Monkey Alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi :hiya:

Just ordered a CA 540ER and was wondering what speakers I should get?

2. Logan09

Logan09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was just gonna post a new thread asking what speakers to get to go with a Cambridge Audio 540R, but seeing as you already started one, I thought I'd just tag along, and add my plea for help.

I don't know what Monkey Alan's budget is, but mine is about £250 for the speakers (£500 total - £250 for receiver). So please, please :lease: help give us some advice.

3. Monkey Alan

Monkey Alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I could probably stretch to 200, come on guys I really have no idea where to start with speakers.

:lease:

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Are you looking for a 5.1 setup or just the 5 speakers and get a sub later?

5. Monkey Alan

Monkey Alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Sorry I should have mentioned that. I'm ultimatly after a 5.1 setup I suppose I could get a sub later on if 200 won't cover it all.

6. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    The CA540r is a very capable reciever - and affords to drive more expensive speakers, reaping better results!

If you really have to go for it (instant gratification) then any one of the following should be fine: (note prices taken from www.hifibitz.co.uk)

Mission m2S Home Cinema Speaker Package £240
    Tannoy Fusion Home Cinema Speaker Package AV2 £250
    Wharfedale Diamond 8 Screen 3 AV Speaker Package £230

On the other hand if you're willing to wait & willing to spend more money gradually, you could get a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze B2 for £180 (which could be shelf mount till you can marry them to some stands). Then complete the package in stages with a matching MA Bronze centre (£117) and rears (£180). I realize that there's quite a gap in the money spent, but you'll sure hear the difference! Your call!

7. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why did you order the receiver before the speakers? It suppost to be the opposite because now you are limited to the speakers. Now you have to find the speakers which sound best with this reciever, instead of looking for a reciver which sounds best with your speakers (speakers are more important than receivers).

8. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm! Your budget is bit on the low side for decent speakers to go with the CA 540R.

I have the Mordaunt-Short Avant 900 series with my 540R and they sound great, but the price is much higher than what your budget currently allows.

I think the Missions or Tannoys would go well with the 540R, but I would suggest that you look at an upgrade to better speakers in the future.

9. Logan09

Logan09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Popped into Richer Sounds today and the bloke there suggested that I get the following to go with a Cambridge 540R:

4 x Gale Silver Monitor Speakers (£59.99 a pair)

1 x Eltax Millenium Centre Sepaker (in black, to be upgraded at later date, but only £9.99)

1 x Gale Storm 8 Subwoofer (£59.99)

All for a total of £500 including Cambridge 540R & speaker wire & optical cable.

Unfortunately I didn't get to test it because I was pushed for time, but does this sound a good combination? Are Gale speakers any good? (particularly the Silver monitors, as I will prob. upgrade the sub & centre at a later date).

10. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I would ignore the gale sub and save for a good sub later as you will just be wasting money buying a cheap boom box.

Keep a good open for a cheap set of second hand speakers as some really nice stuff turns up now and again in the classified forums :D

11. Logan09

Logan09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers Dfour, you've confirmed what I was thinking. I wasn't sure about getting such a cheap sub, and I think it might be best to leave the sub out for now and wait till I've got some more money to buy a better one.

12. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I would also look at the Mission M71i . Superb speakers and magnetically sheilded. The only problem is your stuck with the M7c1i which isnt the best or try to find a second hand m7c2i or you could tryt he newer m3 centre or an older m7x series. There was a thread on here about this problem a while ago so some searching might produce an answer.

Also look at the Eltax ht2 bipolars for rears as bipolars are the best for films especially if your only usign 5.1. I have 2 pairs and they rock. Second hand only as they are deleted.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14991&item=5793653773&rd=1

Look at BKelectric for there high quality subs at superb prices. The xls are almost never second hand and if they are they never stay arround for long :devil:

Dont forget speaker stands as they make a huge difference as well as interconnects and speaker cable. If you patient you could make your own speaker cable out of cat5 or 6 network cable as its only approx 50p/meter and works suprisingly well. I use it myself.:D

Hope this helps :smashin:

13. Roo

Roo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Monkey Alan - hope you don't mind me crashing into your thread, but I've also got a question about speakers for a 540R. :D

I've picked up from the classifieds a pair of Mission M72i speakers and an M7C2 centre. I'm now trying to get a pair of M7DS speakers for the rears. My question is, would these marry up with a 540R very well? The system will be used without a sub due to neighbours on either side. It will be used for for about 50% films, 30% music and 20% TV. I'm going to be running it from an HTPC.

I know that you should always listen to equipment before purchasing it, but after reading so many favourable comments about the 540R, I think I'm going to go for one unheard. I don't need an amp with video switching so it seems to fit the bill very well.

Cheers,
    Andrew.

14. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    what about the Canton CD1 for £240 ??

15. Logan09

Logan09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, on the speaker front I've managed to get hold of a pair of Wharfedale Atlantic 400 floorstanders (Black) for £50, so that's my 2 front speakers sorted. I now need a centre to match them, and 2 rears. I think I'm gonna leave the sub out at the moment and buy one at a later date.

16. n0s

n0s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mordaunt Short Genies! They are excellent!

17. Bassmaster

Bassmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the issue of Cambridge, Gale are always a very good accompaniment to the Cambridge 'sound'. It always has been. Though the sub is a ''no go area'', implied in ealrier posts, due to the fact of the bass in home cinema and indeed stereo is required to have quality and clarity, which contrary, goes for audio equipment as a whole, without that it's just distortion and rather awful to listen to. I wouldn't bother looking into the market spending money on other manufactuers considering your only working with Cambridge.

18. Advocate

Advocate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I paid my first visit to Richer Sounds two days ago to look for a "cheap" second surround system for our study/family room. Ended up coming home with the Cambridge Audio Azur 540R and 3 pairs of Gale 3010's. Halfway home I realised I'd forgotten a sub, DOH! To be honest I'm glad I did forget the sub now as it gave me a chance to check the forums which resulted in my girlfriend going back for me today and buying a Mordaunt Short 309 sub :D:D

Unfortunately it wouldn't fit in her car so she's going back to pick it up for me tomorrow :|

Anyway sorry to waffle, the main point in this reply was that the Gale 3010s sound lovely with this amp and I would definitely reccomend them. My "second" setup is actually better than the one in our lounge! :)

19. rainstel

rainstel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Mordant short 302 setup (2 fronts, 2 rears, 1 centre, 308 sub) with a C/A 540r and it sounds awesome. I have to have the sub turned right down for the sake of the neighbours, but the whole setup sounds nice with the sub like this anyway. Richersounds are doing the 302 for £119 a pair, the centre for £99, and the sub for £149 I think. I'd get a pair for the front and a centre, then add the rears and sub at a later date meself.