What speakers for amplifier NAD D7050?

elkatsa

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hallo,

I wiuld like to buy the amplifier NAD D7050, because it combines relatively good quality of sound, good options for inputs and wireless possibility. I have found it second hand in good condition almost in half price (compared to the price of the same model at shops).

Now I am looking for suitable speakers for this amplifier. I do not want to spend much, so I was thinking to buy the speakers Q Acoustics 3020 (that have received good reviews and the price is relatively low).

Question 1: do you think the speakers Q Acoustics 3020 would pair well with the amplifier NAD D 7050?

Question 2: What other speakers do you think would go well with the amplifier NAD D 7050?

Please note, it is unlikely I will have the chance to attend any demo.

Thank you!

One thing to consider is that the D7050 has no analogue inputs.

As for the Q Acoustics speakers, they would be a great match, and at their price pretty hard to beat. Other brands worth looking at would be Monitor Audio Bronze range and the Dali Zensor range.

Bookshelf Speakers
Bookshelf Speakers

Russell - Audible Fidelity

If you want something a little bigger than the 3020, but still bookshelf/standmount, worth looking at Kef Q300. They are heavily reduced as a new model is coming out soon.

KEF Q300 Bookshelf Speakers

These will go deeper than most other bookshelves if you want some bass, but still nice and crisp at top end.

I had KEF q300s with a Nad amp, and they worked well together. I would also consider Dali Zensor 3s

As you got such a fine bargain sir I'd suggest you use the Nad as a well featured pre amp into active speakers.

These are revered and I'd imagine they'd be a very pleasant surprise for you.

JBL LSR 305

More expensive than a pair of 3020s. But I'd bet a plum they'll sound awesome.

Pps, Thomann also have a 30 day no quibble return guarantee.

Thank you Paul7777x!

I read the customers' comments for the JBL LSR305 and indeed the speaker seems to be excellent value for money.

However, I never thought until now to use active speakers with this amplifier. A question that comes into my mind when thinking of this scenario is this;
If I plug active speakers in the NAD D7050 amplifier, don't I cancel this amplifier to use the amplifier integrated into the speakers? (I guess the amplifier of JBL LSR305 is not as good as of NAD D7050).

So if I would think to use active speakers, I understand it is best to use the money of the amplifier to get the best pre-amp these money can buy, and then plug these great active speakers of JBL.

I may be wrong. I am only thinking aloud. I am interested to hear your view (or anyone's else).

Thank you,

The amp in the Nad will no doubt be good. Nad have plenty of experience and many plaudits.

But the four amplifiers in the JBLs are tailor made for each driver and will perform exactly as each driver requires.

They also use a digital crossover before the amplifiers see the drivers so each amp only has to drive its own frequency responsibility straight into each driver. Hence the excellent sound from such inexpensive speakers.

Using the Nad as a preamp, using the pre outs on the rear will give you all the excellent functionality of the nad but you won't use the power amp section of the 7050.

As you're getting the Nad nearly half price, I'd be surprised if you can get anything like the input offerings in another preamp for that price. Also Nad are a very safe bet.

You will be using everything else and the preamp section.

I simply think this is the best way to get a top quality sound. Certainly the Q acoustics won't be able to match the JBLs.

I do think the extra control, detail and headroom of the active speakers will make a big improvement to your enjoyment.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, because you're not able to audition then Thomanns return policy is a bit of an insurance. But from everything I've been able to gather you're unlikely to need it.

I have the D7050 amp with B&W speakers. It's a very good sounding amplifier - ridiculously clear, yet musical.

It's a very good sounding amplifier - ridiculously clear, yet musical.

At the risk of opening a can of worms.
How on earth can an amplifier be described as sounding "musical" when it's main use is for listening to music, of course it's gonna sound "musical"
That's one of the most stupid statements I've ever heard, it was probably coined by some Hi-Fi buff in a magazine review years ago and has been used ever since by Hi-Fi enthusiasts when they want to sound important.

At the risk of opening a can of worms.
How on earth can an amplifier be described as sounding "musical" when it's main use is for listening to music, of course it's gonna sound "musical"
Fair point - let me clarify what I meant. By saying just "ridiculously clear" I would have connotations of harsh sounding or bright.
This is very listenable. You don't get fatigued listening for hours and hours. So I'd say it has incredible clarity, yet is somehow more warm than harsh.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom