1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Speakers for a typical living room? - fronts must be magnetically Shielded.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by aevans, Jul 22, 2002.

1. aevans

aevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need some help finding speakers that will work in what must be a pretty typical living room layout.

The room:
    Oblong, 16' x 12'. Fireplace in Middle of one 16’ wall with Large sofa running along opposite wall. One 12’ end has patio doors and the other has double doors through to dinning room. So the TV has to go in the corner, diagonally opposite the sofa.

Existing AV Kit:
    Sony 32” FQ75 TV with Sony NS900 DVD & Sony VCR. My intention is to add a Sony 1070 AV amp as it seems to have pretty good reviews, sounds pretty good to me, matches everything else and means it keeps the remotes simple.

The problem:
    I’ve listened to loads of speakers and love B&W CM Series. BUT, I just borrowed a set to try in the room – CM4 fronts, CM2 rear and the CMC centre. Disaster! Firstly, they just look ridiculously big in the room, but worse than that they destroyed the picture on the TV as neither the CM4’s or 2’s are magnetically shielded. Because of the room layout the fronts have got to be bang up against each side of the TV!

So what’s the solution?

Options I’ve thought of so far:
    1) B&W’s 600 Series LCR60 S3 and it’s larger brother LCR600 S3 have been designed with the need for Magnetic Shielding in mind. In the brochure it suggests using 5 of either of the above as an identical set. This sounds pretty sensible to me as it means the timbre of each speaker will obviously match as they’re all the same, and therefore as long as the AV amp has 5 identical amp stages, you should end up with a really well balanced sound with smooth transition of moving sounds around the room. But I’ve never seen or heard of anyone running with such a config and not heard it myself. Also, I think it’s going to look pretty ugly in the room.

2) The wife and I both like the look of Bose AM15’s. I like the idea that all the speakers are identical for the same reasons outlined above, in fact, having listened to them I’m even more of the mind that this is a good thing. BUT, we both agree they just aren’t capable of giving you a complete sound – mid range seems to be missing and to me they seem to lack detail generally and HF sounds seem very harsh. You also don’t have the same Bass and LFE kick that’s possible with a Sub.

So that’s the problem, I reckon it must be a pretty common one, has anybody out there got any sensible ideas?

Thanks
    Andy.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi

The B&W´s matched with a good sub would be great, especially as they all match each other and will give great surround performance, sound pans etc.

Other speakers worth looking at are the Kef Q range, they are all shielded, if you don´t want the floorstanders then the Q1 bookshelf speakers would do nicely, match them with a decent sub (check out the Power Buy Forums and the Velodyne subs) and you´ll have a very decent sounding setup.

Personally I would avoid Bose as I think there are much better sounding systems around for the money. The only advantage they have is that they are small and usually the other half will prefer them.

Also might be worth checking out the new Sony 555 amp, its supposed to be very good, there have been a few posts about it on here recently.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Bose may look nice but if you are interested at all in sound reproduction you will have to look elsewhere.

I got around your problem by using MPS 1510 speakers from the M&K Professional range which are not only one of the best sounding speakers that I have heard in the price range but are also magnetically shielded.

Have a word with uncle eric who is the forum expert on the M&K Pro range.

4. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i have the same problem as you ,tv in corner speakers either side,i have the lcr60 as my center, to use this as front left/right might be a little impracticle anyway it is a fairly large speaker if you imagine a denon 3802 verticaly mounted on a stand thats about the size of lcr60, there are no (bolt holes on cabinet) to fix to a stand it would just be sitting on top of speaker stands anyway, i have cdm1nt within 4" of tv but slightly forward with no ill effects hope this helps

5. aevans

aevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought this would have been a problem loads of people have had to deal with, and hoped to get a few more ideas than this....

Anyone else got any sugestions, please ??

Andy.

6. 2 Point

2 Point

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have exactly the same dimensions/layout as you. I opted for a set of FS2's.

I was going to send them back and wait for the FS1 but was impatient waiting for reviews of the FS1. At £380 the FS2's seemed a good deal, based on the experiences of other with a slightly non-standard room layout.

I won't be putting these in until next week as we only move into the new gaff on Saturday.

7. aevans

aevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks 2 Point. I'm sorry, but personally I'm not keen on Nxt based speakers. Like the Bose systems, to me, they don't give a detailed quality performance across the spectrum. The clue is in the name for both of these systems, they're both billed as "lifestyle systems". The focus being on the physical look and feel rather than sound quality. But as you say, certainly against a Bose set-up, the Mission's are good value and with a typical living room like this, and a wife to please, it looks like there aren’t many options.

Thanks Jase for the Kef Q series suggestion. Looking on the Kef web site confirms they are indeed magnetically shielded and the curved design of the cabinets should help with squeezing them into the corner either side the TV. The maple and silver colour way should also complement the TV well, keeping the wife happy. So, I'm off to try and test drive a set tomorrow - I'll let you know.

Andy.

8. Boxster

Boxster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone tried the B&W VM1 (a lifestyle product!!) they are mag shielded, need to know if any good as a stereo pair and as matched 5.1 surrounds?.
    Just seen an add for M FS1 has anyone demoed them yet?

9. petrobas

petrobas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mission cinema 7 kit @ Richer Sounds £399.95

10. aevans

aevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No good for my requirements, Front's not magnetically shielded (according to tech specs on Mission web site).

11. aevans

aevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't know B&W did these. Just had a look on the B&W web site - they look pretty neat. I'll try and get a listen to these tomorrow as well, although I've never seen them in any of the dealers I've been to recently.

I'm also going to try and get to listen to these Antony Gallo Nuleus Micro's that are being raved about on another thread. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39284

12. petrobas

petrobas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Mission 774's as my front speakers & they are approx 18" away from the tv & they don't effect the screen whatsoever . The centre is the critical one as this sits on the tv in direct contact so it does need the magnetic shielding . At the price of £399.95 I am sure you wouldn't be disappointed.